• Reply to: Revenue Protection   5 years 8 months ago

Happy New Tax year, affecting a new USPS Fiscal Year, with a new comment on revenue.
    The Health Bill Overhaul** will begin with serious
    implications to USPS mailings.

So, I just rx'd my HighMark BC/BS (mailed) newsletter,
    "Looking Healthward". A reminder of my other posts
    regarding "Lemonade", among other technologies giving change to mail volumes, and information exchange, ie.
    your business model called your j-o-b....
    The article depicts a "gray hair" reading his mail,
    and the caption of the artilce explains how the subscriber will soon, not be getting these pictured letters in the mail, along with the newsletter, the policy paperwork, and the bills, and the EOB's, and I'm assuming all "utter" mail the Post Office currently handles foir the health care industry. (BTW) the gray hair is smiling!
    They go on to explaing that this is "all part of (our) health care overhaul "go-green" (initiative to
    reduce administration expense) blah-blah-blah.

Additionally, the article describes this subject mail as "clutter"!!!!

Just a note on e-delivery....... and Revenue.

** Health Care Subscriber Realignment Initative Program (HCS-RIP)

• Reply to: Revenue Protection   5 years 8 months ago

try to keep the revenue you already have...in the office i work at the postmaster retired and was replaced by a OIC. This person had never been in charge of an office, has not been trained to operate on POS or IRT, constantly charges customers incorrectly, we have run out of stamps, we presently have very little ready post because it is all "out of stock" for the last several months. The only reason we have flat rate boxes is because the ssa's get them from usps.com and bring them to the office because our OIC doesn't know how to order those either. We can't generate more revenue if we can't keep customers, even the small ones.

• Reply to: The Changing Change of Address System   5 years 8 months ago

Nothing better as a carrier than to have someone hand me someone's mail and telling me "they filled out a change online a few weeks ago...why are you still delivering their mail here?".

Who cares about the bad service....that just generated 1 whole dollar for the P.O.!!

Please remove "Service" from our company name.

• Reply to: Automation and the Life of the Letter Carrier   5 years 8 months ago

Retiree with age + seniority = 50, with Fortune 500 Co. 13 yrs. ago. Opted to defer 1/2 income with total confidence that opportunities would present themselves and they did. The incentive - "higher level thinkers", best and brightest, determined that my enticement should be to pay off my house, send my kids to college (both serving in the medical field; one at Vanderbilt and the other a paramedic) and 100% major medical insurance coverage.

USPS was in need of data management specialists to ramp-up the DPS environment and recognition software. Seems there were not enough "career employees" that were computer literate, nor could qualify even at an entry level. Therefore, this mission was outsourced through Lockheed Martin; you know the folks that build the fighter jets and satelites?
    Having come on board with USPS; through all of this, I've remained of the opinion that YES, MUCH CAN BE IMPROVED UPON in technological advancement. I will not even chalk it off to archaic mentality; but the consequences of inactions based upon "internal audit" and monitoring procedures (very biased) with just a monetary objective, or an attitude of "whatever makes me look good"; the successful business models in my past employment and present admiration; simply do not even give ear to such opinions.

Imagine, your dream; usually location, location, location, and the love of your life sharing your future. Nothing owed, paid in full; what would you do? Children made good, no issues of rampant public assistance prevail (pretty sheltered before becoming carrier), and no enabling allowed.

Well, I'll tell you what I did. Was never afraid to train, transfer, or be too proudful to serve in any job capacity with USPS; that only proved to expand my knowledge of operations, technology, and personnel exposure. However, this system only seeks to penalize employees that choose to be exposed to an array of employment opportunities within; unlike Fortune 500 companies and business models that elect to applaud and compensate the individual's intestinal fortitude.

Our station mgrs. and PMs are not paid enough (in Corporate America standards), and are not of a work ethic to do more for the amount they are paid (with the exception of my current "assigned PM, B.M.(not a joke, really his initials)" does whatever it takes. But because he's exceptional in his tasks, he's been detailed all over kingdom-come since the retirement of J.G. and we've had a dozen or so want-a-be's. This is my personal observation.

Therefore, now as a carrier (which I do so love; fresh air, sunshine, exercise, and customers that I adore) I am absolutely elated in anticipation of the "load and carry" future of USPS letter carriers.
    Remember, I was there at the cutting edge of burning- in the FSM100's (Carrier Routed trays) for Quality Assurance Committee at Headquarters (we failed some, we passed some) no bias, just factual. I truely love this approach; with no reflection upon personal interest in the process; only QUALITY.

And, if I didn't love my life, location, and what I'm doing now; I'd probably transfer again to participate in the FSS trials and implementation. I do so love technology as it improves our lives daily. I know, a bit too forward thinking for most; but I cut my teeth back in the 70's with AT&T in the communications and information technology industry, and what a blessing. I would never have gained so much from recognizing the difference as an employee with profit-sharing benefits vs. USPS.

Final word, bring it on - so encouraged by the hope of increased level of excellence in customer service and shedding of deadbeats off payroll.

• Reply to: At the Post Office   5 years 8 months ago

Not enough registers open. Talk about poor planning, I can understand when there's only one or two open during a wednesday and non holiday. But you'd think the PO would expect there to be more customers and respond with more open registers during one of the busiest mailing times of year.

• Reply to: Total Factor Productivity (TFP)   5 years 8 months ago

HAH! Complaining to the Postal OIG about poor management is like complaining to the Gestapo about the SS. They serve at the pleasure of the PMG and BOG and are only interested in demonstrating how useless the rank and file are and how the USPS would be better served by an all temp workforce. OIG reports about theivery and lying among managers is eyewash. None of these people ever get removed. The OIG functions as a beard so the PMG can put up the facade to Congress that he can police the service. If productivity is indeed dropping, it is because of a demoralized workforce exacerbated by a complete lack of integrity among managers who are in a slash-and-burn mode.

• Reply to: Total Factor Productivity (TFP)   5 years 8 months ago

What about the vaunted value added factor. can usps reinvent itself? can it morf into a new industry?

• Reply to: Total Factor Productivity (TFP)   5 years 8 months ago

Hello, I am posting here in the hopes that someone will help me or offer a suggestion as to what is going on. I am a business owner and ship USPS regularly - I purchase $3000 postage/month.

My problem is with the international priority mail shipments. It takes 8-10 days for the package to reach from where I reside, to the LAX dispatch center (it usually gets there the same day, or 24 hours) This has been happening since the last 3 months. The delay is increasing every week. I don't understand how a package takes 8-10 days to get somewhere, when that place is 80 miles away. Because of this delay, there is an increased chance of packages getting lose (in fact, 2 are already lost)

Can someone explain what in the world the problem is? Could it be the sorting center between my post office and LAX? USPS Customer service has been of no assistance, and USPS Inspection service will not handle my complaint. I have completely stopped selling to international customers now (they can't afford fedex/ups) Thanks

• Reply to: Total Factor Productivity (TFP)   5 years 8 months ago

Anyway to factor in the costs of NON productivity of unnecessary redundant Management? Until you stop using the age old technique of using managements salary cost as (overhead), stop beating that stupid cost saving factor of eliminating craft employees as the only way to save the Postal Service.

• Reply to: The Changing Change of Address System   5 years 8 months ago

Another thing I don't like about the online address change is that we don't get to see them-the same goes for the fact that the paper forms are now barcoded. If there is a problem, we might not know about it for a long time. If we had the filled out forms to look at, then we may be able to spot a potential problem before it becomes a real one.

• Reply to: Total Factor Productivity (TFP)   5 years 8 months ago

I have to concur with the others. There is way too much management for the number of clerks and carriers. If you eliminate many of the pointless reports, programs and logs that are filled out everyday, you will have even less need for those useless management jobs (and save a lot of paper). You can eliminate them, and save millions, and in turn improve your TFP.

Also, get rid of POOMS. They no longer serve a puropose except to fulfill their egos by micromanaging. All offices are computerized now, and all of the information that needs to be disseminated can be done at area level.

So why is it that there are far fewer craft positions, yet the same number of management positions?

• Reply to: Total Factor Productivity (TFP)   5 years 8 months ago

What is the factor for a public school? Their only product is service. Why is it that even the PO doesn't produce anything but service, we are held to a standard that does not reflect our main product. If you want to gage our service, how about asking the customers. I don't think you will like the result. So we use data that doesn't take into account how we are viewed in the eyes of those we serve.

• Reply to: Total Factor Productivity (TFP)   5 years 8 months ago

How come we have more then 50,000 supervisors with cuts of over 100,000 craft employees in the last 6-7 years.Also what company hands out bonuses and allows follish spending (on houses,food and parties ect)while the USPS is loseing billions.If you cant see where the savings is i will spell it out for you.Cut out all bonuses,USPS is a goverment agency if management isnt doing thier job give them a letter of removal.Job cuts and cosolidation.There is no need to have a Post Master for station with 12 or less routes.Mandate Post Masters need to have at least 20 plus routes to manage(in some cases 2 or 3 offices).Cutting and consolidating Post Masters and supervisors nation as well as suspending or terminating bonuses would help save the USPS BILLIONS.The craft employees have given back and continue to do so.While doing so, continued a high level of customer servive as well as meeting projections.

• Reply to: Total Factor Productivity (TFP)   5 years 8 months ago

So if the Service cut way back on management positions that don't do anything to add to the TFP outcome then the Total Factor Productivity would improve tremendously. Since there is little evidence that despite the huge drop in craft positions little desire has been shone to reduce excess management my prediction is there will be little to no chance of improving the TFP numbers.

• Reply to: The Changing Change of Address System   5 years 8 months ago

"Why don't we charge for it"....what a moronic statement. First of all, it isn't your property to "charge for". Secondly, it is charged for in hundreds of thousdands of dollars in license fees to access it. Lastly, you cannot deliver 3-4% of the mail you receive even when addressed properly, why not focus on areas like competence that you have control over and let Congress worry about things such as the Privacy Act of 1974.

• Reply to: Total Factor Productivity (TFP)   5 years 8 months ago

Just because the measurement system does not yield favorable results, does not mean the measurement system should change or is inappropriate. I would question the Postal Service if it chose to change its measurement system due to unfavorable results. I am more courious to know what the results mean. For example, although the number of employees has decreased, have labor costs increased and what is the impact of decreased mail volumes? A 10-year trend analysis would also be interesting to me.

• Reply to: At the Post Office   5 years 8 months ago

I do all of my business at the small office in my hometown, I never go to a large post office anymore. There is never a line or any kind of wait there, and the people are friendly. I think the postal service should emphasize the availability of these little offices to let people know that they are out there, and that the mail will get to where it is suppposed to go just as quickly (at least from my experience). This would also lighten the load off the bigger offices, and in the long run you will have more staified customers.

Another thing- get rid of that spiel that I have to hear everytime I send out a package. The suggestive selling is such a turnoff.

• Reply to: At the Post Office   5 years 8 months ago

I stopped inside the PO during my commute to work to buy one stamp for a bill I needed to mail. I never buy the book of stamps at the automatic machine because I rarely use stamps anymore. I was disappointed that only one person was working the counter during the busy Christmas season. I hate having to visit any PO to mail one letter.

• Reply to: At the Post Office   5 years 8 months ago

The post office continues to cut employees causing long lines and frustrated customers. There is NO CUSTOMER SERVICE. The manager appologized for the long lines but she should have opened up another register. There were several "supervisors" walking around but only two clerks helping customers. Make the supervisors help customers and work the registers. I visit the post office weekly and it is getting worse. MAKE THE SUPERVISORS WORK THE REGISTERS. This is poor customer service.

• Reply to: At the Post Office   5 years 8 months ago

The lobby in Stafford, VA did not open until 10. I used the APC but the parcel drop was locked so I had to wait in line anyway just to drop my package at the window.

• Reply to: Revenue Protection   5 years 8 months ago

There is a philosophy - keep it simple silly (kiss).

We sell a simple service for 70 cents that gets more time devoted to it than any of the other services we offer. I am speaking of deliver confirmation.

In my small office we scan all delivery confirmation and insured articles arrived to the office, arrived to the carriers, and then the carriers scan them attempted or delivered. All articles with delivery confirmation are eventually scanned delivered.

For drop shipments we add an EVS arrived scan.

All this means is that each article with insurance or delivery confirmation is handled no less than three times - not including the time spent numbering the parcels for the box customers and notifying customers that the parcel await pick-up. Most of these for the 70 cent delivery confirmation service.

After all this scanning one does wonder how we actually have time to deliver the mail at all.

One suggestion would be that drop shipment articles be scanned by those companies into a FIRM SHEET type program which, when scanned by the post office, arrive all of the parcels in that shipment.

• Reply to: At the Post Office   5 years 8 months ago

I mailed a few large packages from Merrifield last Tuesday evening and was pleasantly surprised. The line was long (30 minute wait), but they had 6 extremely friendly people behind the counters and a separate 'express' line for folks just needing stamps or mailing envelopes. They also had two people walking around answering questions and helping them with packing questions or lending out pens and packaging tape. They were doing everything possible to help people and get them through the line as fast as they could.

What might of helped was to have the website hours updated. It showed they closed at 8, when in fact they extended their house for the holidays and were open until 10.

The "if it fits, it ships" campaign seems to be working, but I think they need to add a "click and ship" message to it. So many people were coming in with priority mail flat rate boxes, which they could have mailed from the comfort of their home if they 'only knew' about it.

Kudos to the Merrifield staff for being helpful and friendly.

• Reply to: At the Post Office   5 years 8 months ago

The last time I was at the post office I had prepared my package online using Click-n-Ship but needed to wait in line for one of those plastic customs pouches. If these pouches were on the counter, I could have taken one home and used carrier pickup.

• Reply to: The Changing Change of Address System   5 years 8 months ago

On related issues.

I've tried to use the hold mail option which I can do on line. If I need to extend the hold mail I'm required to visit the local post office in my home town to make the extension. Makes no sense. If I were home I would not need an extension. If I'm out of town I can't visit the local office.

The last time I did a change of address notice I was covered up with junk mail from vendors that could have ONLY received the new address from the post office. Odd point the junk mail folk seem to get the information instantly but my legitimate senders are months late in receiving the data.

• Reply to: The Changing Change of Address System   5 years 8 months ago

Why does management make us hide the COA forms behind the counter? People come to the P.O. to change their address manually, then they have to wait in line to get one. We have even longer lines to accommodate them. This is another ignorant rule created by a totally clueless management that has no idea what goes on at the customer level!