• Reply to: Should the Postal Service Eliminate Sunday Mail Processing Operations?   5 years 6 months ago

We have been getting bulk Mail everyday which is past the requested delivery dates printed on it. How humiliating for the carriers to deliver Mail to thier customers with a requested in home date a week or more ago! Meanwhile, all we hear is how our service is the highest ever. Huh? Not sure how eliminating Sunday would affect this, but it sure wouldn't help. Management just can't understand that holding Mail does not save time. It has to be done sometime, and takes the same amount of work hours to process. They just are shifting the work to management, because they send the clerks home, and then the PMs spend the rest of their day sorting bulk Mail. What a waste of talent! Use the highest skilled person in the office to perform the least important work. What a plan for financial recovery! Obviously the same thinking must happen in the plants and all thrpough the process, and that is why we get dated Mail after the requested dates, it has been held all hrough the system.

Please don't do this. The day after a holiday is a carrier's worst nightmare. Mondays are bad enough with no Sunday delivery. BTW-quality is going down the tubes in the frenzy to save money-since when do we ignore 2nd class mail status and ignore store sale dates? These acts are just going to foster more mistrust in the usps.

Me being a RCA I say we need to keep 6 day delivery because Saturdays are the days I make descent money on the regular route.. yes I run/carry an Aux. route every day .. one week I do the aux. route 6 days and the next week I do the aux. route 5 days and the regular route 1 day (Saturday) and when needed. But if I were just a RCA being a Saturday sub. or every other Saturday sub. then I wouldn't have a job and like most ppl I need that money to pay my bills and provide for my family. If things are so bad then Potter shouldn't be getting big raises and the price of stamps shouldn't be going up along with other products sold by the postal service,, if anything that just makes the customer want to do business elsewhere. On the Sunday thing.. that wouldn't be so bad I suppose because the carriers don't work on Sunday anyway but will most likely be more work for the mail handlers/processors on Monday mornings. I just can't see anything good coming out of this.

As a person that use to work in mail processing on Sunday evenings, I say eliminate this processing day. The mail volume was always low that day and we were assigned tasks in other areas. The Postal Service needs to take action now to deal with this financial crisis and I am sure that the mail volume is so low now that eliminating this work day is no longer a real issue. The Postal Service is paying for work that is no longer being performed.

This seems like a no-brainer. Sunday processing could start again if future volumes justify it. Private companies add and delete shifts continually as volume rises and falls. Why can't the Postal Service?

If five day delivery and six day processesing will help the Postal Service improve their financial position,I say do it. It does not have a negative effect on employees and our customers understand our predicament.

What is USPS waiting for? Time to cut back on employee workhours, consolidate facilities and functions, and reduce delivery days. How many of us leave the mail in a pile by the front door until someone finally goes through it, days later? Yes! Do what it takes to run USPS like a business, and do it now.

• Reply to: Brainstorm Ideas to Help the Postal Service   5 years 6 months ago

~~~~~~~
    Benchmark.( identify and implement “best practices” of successful units of the organization.)

When a unit performs well in the USPS,
    as our office did a few years ago , it recieves "Best-of-the Best" recognition and a bullseye on its back.

When I started carrying mail 11 years ago, our office was ending an era of terror which cost the USPS multiple tens of thousands of dollars in EEO lawsuits, and the unaccountable costs that stem from de-motivated , abused employees.

A new PM came in who valued his employees, and was tough, but fair and even stood up to his superiors on behalf of his team, or to make decisions that improved efficiency and service.
    In his last year , we achieved that "Best-Of-The-Best" recognition.

Instead of looking at what our office was doing and duplicating those practices elsewhere, a new PM and team came in with practices, attitudes, and abuse that brought us back down to mediocrity. She belittles her team, insulting them during 'stand-ups', and even brought one of the 'era of terror', "EEO lawsuit" supervisors back this week to do a route check on a carrier.
    We won't be on the best of the best list unless the goal is increased grievances.
    ~~~~~~~~~~

• Reply to: Brainstorm Ideas to Help the Postal Service   5 years 6 months ago

RIF MANAGEMENT

• Reply to: Brainstorm Ideas to Help the Postal Service   5 years 6 months ago

tina thats the whole downfall of the P.O.

• Reply to: Mystery Shoppers   5 years 6 months ago

Upselling is fine ....but enough is eoungh. At the end of the transaction I can offer stamps and shipping supplies but now I have to EXPLAIN WHY they might need these items? How patronizing.

• Reply to: Mystery Shoppers   5 years 6 months ago

When I was a window clerk at Manhattanville Station, I remmembered what the "regular" customer wants or needs. There were few customers who come to the office to buy stamps & money-orders about three or four times a month. Is it necessary to If they want packaging supplies, etc? There a few small businesses who send their employees to us to mail their packages; they always send them parcel post with delivery confirmation if the mailing areas are close or priority with confirmation when mailing out west or rural areas. Why try to upsell? My very last mystery shoppers "failed" me because I didn't make eye contact!! Since my window was at the head of the line, I would look the customer in the eyes and wave him/her to my window!! This "shopper" was fidgetting and wasn't speaking directly into the "speaker" in the glass partition. I had to crank my head to one side to hear. I Greeted the customer. I Inquired. I Suggested (aka upsell). And I Thanked the customer. The customer wasn't mailing anything so the HAZMAT question didn't applied. My supervisor punished me by not putting on the window!! The mystery shopper wasn't suppose to be used for disciplinary purposes!!

• Reply to: Brainstorm Ideas to Help the Postal Service   5 years 6 months ago

The common theme here is definitely that USPS has way too many layers of management, that Jack Potter has outlived his usefulness at USPS and that many diligent and hard working people throughout the USPS are being targeted and blamed and having their bargaining unit jobs berated by managers with a desire to undermine those bargaining unit positions. Potter and senior managers are taking advantage of the current downturn to undermine the bargaining unit and cut offices and delivery to where the Postal Service will never have a full recovery. This undermining of union positions happens while management increase spending on outsourced labor which is ultimately much more expensive and detrimental to the quality of service.

• Reply to: To Award or Not to Award: What’s the Postal Service to Do?   5 years 6 months ago

The common theme here is definitely that HQ has way too many layers of management, Jack Potter has outlived his usefulness at USPS and that there are some very diligent people in the Postal Server from HQ all the way to the branch offices. Potter and gang is taking advantage of the current downturn to undermine the bargaining unit and cut offices and delivery to where there will not be a recovery. This undermining of union positions happens while they increase spending on outsourced labor which is ultimately much more expensive.

• Reply to: Mystery Shoppers   5 years 6 months ago

What happened to simply asking the customer 'when does this need to arrive?' Then the SSA can work on educating the customer with the services we provide and their associated time frames from the mailing area.

• Reply to: Preventing Workers’ Compensation Fraud   5 years 6 months ago

OIG should recommend the Postal Service to add offering voluntary benefits to the employees. It is an Employee Paid Program that will enhance the benefits of the Employees but would not cost the Postal Service anything.

This will prevent Fraud in Workers Comp.
    The reason why there are fraud is because the system is flawed. If employees have coverage and they get hurt OFF the job because they have voluntary benefits, they are covered , and they wont fraud on workers comp thus saving the Postal Service millions of dollars of OIG Investigating , save the Postal Service on workers comp claim, and the employees who got hurt would have income.

• Reply to: Mystery Shoppers   5 years 6 months ago

And the problem with using lines like the one above:

"This didn’t need any confirmation or insurance, did it?"

Is that it opens the door for a customer to simply say "no" and continue about their business. Upselling should require an actual response from the customer. Customers are programmed to say "no" to salespeople and clerks. We all do it.

Try using open ended questions to engage into customers wants and needs and suggest services/products that will benefit them based on their responses.

Just my 2 cents.

• Reply to: Mystery Shoppers   5 years 6 months ago

Every business focuses on making a profit or increasing their profits. Every retail store focuses on upselling customers. The PO is no different. But, there's a fine line between forcing something on every customer and upselling a product/service the customer could actually need and use. It would be a waste of time to say "upsell express mail." Clerks should be focused on helping the customer and upselling them at the same time. When done well it's very effective.

• Reply to: Mystery Shoppers   5 years 6 months ago

I'm a manager and I agree with you wholeheartedly Chev. The NPA and bonus process for management is a perversion creating counterproductive incentives and encouraging bad behavior.

• Reply to: Mystery Shoppers   5 years 6 months ago

If the PS wants to really push Express Mail, then why not advertise it, instead of making it a forced upsell. Look at how successful the flat rate Priority campaign has been. The same can be applied to Express flat rate envelopes. Let the customers see the numbers if they are so great.

THAT is how you sell Express.

• Reply to: Mystery Shoppers   5 years 6 months ago

Mystery Shopper is a total waste of time and money.

I work at an office that is not shopped, and I rarely offer my customers Express. Why? Because when I was a clerk at a large office and did that, the customer would always give a negative reaction like "That's expensive". Like that is something we need right now in our financial state. The only time I would sell Express is if a customer had shown a sense of urgency (What is the fastest way I can get this there? or I have to have this there by Friday). Any clerk knows this, and will sell Express accordingly. If they don't want us selling Parcel Post, then why even have it?

Extra services- my way of selling extra services is "This didn't need any confirmation or insurance, did it?" It doesn't sound like an upsell, but instead it sounds like I am double checking with the customer to meet their needs. And I am sure I sell just as much in extra services, if not more, by doing this as opposed to using a robotic script.

Business Connect is another joke. I work in a level 11 office, where I have to make 3 submissions every month. I have only 5 businesses in my town. Can't go beyond my town because that would be considered "stealing revenue" from another office. Don't tell me that most PM's are not just making up half of these submissions. I just laugh when I see that our district has "brought in" $$$$ revenue from BC connect leads, since most of them are made up and the numbers are phony.

These can be excellent tools if used properly, and not meant as a disciplinary benchmark used to demotivate employees.

• Reply to: Mystery Shoppers   5 years 6 months ago

Excuse me. You don't agree that SSA's should get a bonus for "doing their job"? I wholeheartly agree. But I also don't think anyone on the management team should either. Aren't they just doing their jobs too?

• Reply to: Mystery Shoppers   5 years 6 months ago

Rich, how much are you willing to bet that you will not be able to find the number of extra express mails that are sold by upselling? Funny how you never hear thses numbers, but will hear about the number of clerks who do not offer the service. Even if such a figure did exist, I bet it would turn into a benchmark that each office will have to meet (or be NON COMPLIANT). Another log to sign and fax to tell the POOM how many Expresses were sold that day and so on....

• Reply to: Mystery Shoppers   5 years 6 months ago

If there is anyone out there defending the mystery shopper program, please give me an answer! With all the management positions that look at numbers all day, tell me if the offices that get 100% all the time on their mystery shopper scores are selling more express or special services than other offices, as a percentage of there transactions. I am a relief clerk and work several offices and I can guarantee you that the robotic script followers are not up-selling any more express than I am. If management has some statistics to back up their program, I would like to see them. Instead of forcing us to use this ignorant, robotic, and mostly ignored dialogue, let us read the customer and up-sell what we think they will purchase. If management can't give me the figures to back up their program, then why are we wasting millions of dollars on it?

• Reply to: Who We Are and Why We Blog...   5 years 6 months ago

In cambridge mass our office used to operate in one building with a postmaster and approx.6 to 7 supervisors. We now have less employees due to cuts of at least 20craft jobs over the past 19 years Ive been there,better technology, and lower mail volumes.Now we operate with 3 Managers and at least 15 supervisors and another building to pay for rent. We all heard of the RIF planned for cutting management but none has yet to be cutting any management jobs. I served and love my country and used to be proud of the USPS now however I feel we greatly lack in providing services(the whole meaning of our existance). The postal service needs to be investigated by the Audit team or any outside entity and finally all the dead weight at the top will relieve some pressure from our operating costs. We cannot keep cutting services to the public or we will lose even more$$. When will Postmaster Potter finally step up to the plate and do a RIF in management. Thankyou