• Reply to: Are There Other Viable Alternatives for 6-Day Delivery Operations?   5 years 9 months ago

Let's see what kind of fireworks this will bring...

I remember long ago my first day of orientation,
    which by the way has not changed a bit as recent as
    two years ago.

The speakers asked the group of 60 + - a first
    question.

"What is it that the Post Office Operations
    don't like the most?"

A number of inductee's replied various answers that
    were acknowledged as accurate, however the correct answer was as follows..

"The POST OFFICE does not like change". We don't like
    things to change". "this is the most important aspect
    of your job at the USPS, to keep things the same."

With that, here's something to think about.

According to the USPS, they are a 24 Hour Clock Operation. What about delivery during other hours?
    I mean, MVS operates during Tour 1, 2, and 3.
    Why not deliver mail at night??? Is this simply crazy?
    It's not like the LLV's don't have flashers. It's
    not like they don't have interior lights? It's not like there aren't headlamps that provide ample light for delivery personnel like coal miners use? It's not
    like the mail needs to be delivered during the daylight hours?
    I do know there is much less traffic during hours 2300- 1930. There are literally no children out and about. Is someone going to rob the mailman of the
    mail?
    As a previous business owner, and Operations Manager
    in a highly personnel risk exposure field, my primary
    role was to execute the projects. However, it really
    ended up as a responsibility of reducing the liabilities to personnel, equipment, and property.

Therefore, environmental factors, interference by
    other parties in activity areas (traffic/personnel/equipment/noise-debris-etc. all our affected operations.

Similar to carriers executing their duties.
    How much accountable mail is delivered every day
    anyway? Surely somebody could make these deliveries
    during the day if necessary?

Crazy idea? Mmmmmmmmmmmmhhhhhhhh

Oh, and Saturday's, heck yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5 days would rock

The USPs (notice the diminishing service) needs to cut out it's reckless spending that does not help getting mail delivered. As a carrier I perform meaningless tasks every day so someone at a higher level can have a report to read. For example I have to count the mail pieces missent to my route by DPS.
    For months I have consistently had over 100 a day.
    Why is the problem not getting fixed? I have been delivering mail for 24 years; now I will receive 22 hours of training before I can drive a LLV. There are many other examples of where money is wasted, or spent for no reason but to create paper for someone sitting in an office to look at. As a good career employee I have no sympathy fot the management that has gotten us into this mess; only for the hard working carriers, clerks, postmasters, mailhandlers, and truck drivers that keep the SERVICE going in spite of higher level mismanagement.

But also read my posts on the other thread about offering PO Boxes in lieu of delivery to those that live closest to post offices. That might not save as much money as 5 day delivery, but it will save a lot in delivery expenses.

I don't see there being an alternative to 5 day delivery, if anything it is the best option. Almost everybody I have talked to about it has no issue with it. But leave the option open to deliver first class mail to PO Boxes 6 days for those that do need that 6th day of mail. It would then make PO Box service a true "premium service", and that would justify paying for the box rental.

changing to 5 day wouldnt require staffing changes? how would that possibly be true, at least 50,000 people would have to be either excessed or layed off. and talk about 5 day all you want but its not going to happen any time soon, instead how about telling potter to think about something outside the box, instead of just telling congress we have to do this! get a good idea and stop pounding 5 day delivery acting like its the end all be all answer. not only that but congress isnt too keen on postal math, that says in your numbers you could save 3.5 million while normal math users see about half of that being saved. think outside the box, we are moving into a new generation of postal users, 5 day delivery will just ensure we wont be here in the future.

• Reply to: Year 2   5 years 9 months ago

A ground level view of FSS human impact delivery issues. Stay tuned for more non-actuarial calculations and videos.

• Reply to: Modes of Delivery   5 years 9 months ago

The delivery confirmation system is not meeting our customers' needs. We keep getting mandates about having to make "arrival at unit" scans and "Stop the clock" scans all in the name of "better visibility". This is not giving customers what they want. Customers don't need to see that we made 4 scans once the package arrived at the office, they want to see all the steps BETWEEN point A and point B, so they know when they can reasonably expect their package.

• Reply to: Modes of Delivery   5 years 9 months ago

The reason USPS doesnot use modern technology like FEDEX to track Parcels and other services such express mail,etc. someone decided to accept low bid and USPS Exec.s do not really care about service to the public they just want to make their high three and bonsus. If the OIG/Postal Inpection Service really did their job . They would really investigate management and not bury their heads in sand .

• Reply to: Silly Rules   5 years 9 months ago

You should be allowed to go to the toilet for an extra 5 minutes if you promise not to wash your hands thus saving precious time there.

• Reply to: Modes of Delivery   5 years 9 months ago

The USPS is one of the most well managed systems in the US today. They deliver around 203 billion pieces of mail a year and do well to keep things in check at all times.

• Reply to: Modes of Delivery   5 years 9 months ago

I agree. We currently have two rural carriers in my office that need to work a 6th day, just to get a full week's pay. The third rural carrier maintains her income and is an officer in the Rural Carrier's Union. I am a city carrier whose route has been reduced to part-time with 945 delivery points. The only full-time city carrier's route is 825 delivery points. These are the facts; therefore, I am very interested in NDCBU's coming my way!
    Thank you for this opportunity to expose what I know.

• Reply to: Modes of Delivery   5 years 9 months ago

Ever wonder why people do not like sending packages stateside or receiving them from overseas with you all. Because with all the technology of today you can not tell them where there package is. And when you call it's like oh well nothing I can do is the answer you recieve. Sorry I would rather pay a little extra and have someone be able to track my package even when it is the back of a truck. If it was not for companies still sending bills and Junk mail, you all would have to go find a real job.

• Reply to: Modes of Delivery   5 years 9 months ago

While centralized delivery may, in most suburban and rural areas, be a viable solution, in an urban enviroment it lacks security, convenence and degrades the service to the customer. In the city I deliver entire NDCBU's have been stolen. Mail thieves can now rob multiple boxes in one stop with out ever approaching the homes.

• Reply to: Modes of Delivery   5 years 9 months ago

With the volume dropping year after year, maybe the Postal Service could look into combining rural routes. Actually build them back up, so that the carriers are doing a fair days work for a fair days pay. I don't understand why the Postal Service is paying some of these folks to work 41 hours per week and some are working as little as "who knows" maybe 27.

• Reply to: Modes of Delivery   5 years 9 months ago

I have mentioned this a few times before, by why can't the Postal Service just give customers a no-fee post office box in lieu of street delivery? They can re-establish the old rule that stated that if you lived within a certain distance from an office that you had to get a PO box there. Based on the numbers I saw a while back, the savings would come to a little over $100 per delivery point each year. The PS would save a ton of money if they did this. You would lose the revenue from the PO Box, but that would be more than offset by the savings.

In most cases, there are plenty of PO Boxes already available in the small level 11-13 offices that can be used. It would increase productivity in the small offices-using them more to their full potential, and also save the expense of installing and maintaining CBUs.

I find it strange that the justification for paying for a PO box is that the PS has to maintain them, change locks etc, but don't CBUs require the same maintenance?

• Reply to: Modes of Delivery   5 years 9 months ago

We could save billions of dollars per year by not delivering any mail at all!

• Reply to: Modes of Delivery   5 years 9 months ago

As a letter carrier that serviced a business route I can only say that the businesses are better served with door to door delivery. That is how you establish a rappor with your customer. That is how Customer Connect is successful. Having a face to face with your customers. Management seems to have forgotten the thing that made us successful in the first place. SERVICE!

• Reply to: Modes of Delivery   5 years 9 months ago

As a former mail carrier and a current customer I see no advantage of cluster boxes. Many reason why I hate them as I will list a few. As a carrier I had 101 aprtments in which evry single apartment had its own cell on my case to sort the mail ( this was the best way to sort the mail because it was in sequence and knew who was on hold , had forwards and vacants or has a Post Office Box). Managents clueless idea was to take some thing that worked perfectly and made it worthless. Now for cluster boxes as a carrier you put all mail for an individual cluster box in one cell in no order so now you have to sort all this mail on the steet. Anyone from the north will tell you that this method sucks in the winter Instead of being at a box less than a minute now you may be at a box for 5 minutes because nothing is in order. Try that on a overcast 5 degree day. In the summer every one is waiting on their mail so instead of getting in and getting out , oh no, lets make the customers wait while we sort all this mail. One of the most moronic things I have seen in the Post Office BUT NOT THE MOST MORONIC>

• Reply to: Modes of Delivery   5 years 9 months ago

In our office this is the rule now the carriers tell the boss's where the boxs should go they go out and tell the builder and no mail starts till they go where we say they go centralized delivery just meens all the boxs together and we have them out on the sidewalk in the normal walking path the dumb ideal you would drive to the box "lazy person" and a cover over the boxs dumb idea if there is 10 boxs would you rather walk to 10 porch boxs or 10 all in one spot i know 10 in one spot will be much faster to deliver then 10 all over the place I have allways said i would deliver twice as much mail if i could walk down the sidewalk puishing a cart "like the training video" then half the mail i have now with the 3234 stairs i now do the stairs are the only bad part of the job every seioner route was bid on because there were no stairs or way less

• Reply to: Modes of Delivery   5 years 9 months ago

If you have a carrier on foot making deliveries door to door deliveries, and a curbside delivery comes up. Does the carrier walk back to LLV and then drive to curbside box to make delivery?, and then countinue with the foot beat.What does that save ?

• Reply to: Modes of Delivery   5 years 9 months ago

If we go to all centralized, for the best service they should be covered by some type of awning, ensureing their mail will not get wet, would also probibly extend the life of the mbu/cbu boxes as well.

• Reply to: Modes of Delivery   5 years 9 months ago

The public will hang on to the "free " door to door service. That is human nature. No one will care about the few cents increased for this service except the large mailers. This will take the act of congress to change that. All the private businesses who still do business like 100 years ago, they are all out of business long long time ago. Only Postal Service who still deliver mail door to door like 100 years still survived. Are they? Oh, no they are failing now. Don't the congress see that. Is true that it will be beginning of the end of the unions if that happens. No wonder the congress don't want to deal with this issue. The alternative is for the Postal Service return to be Postal Department and the government will take care of the expenditure. And then endless inflation.....

• Reply to: Modes of Delivery   5 years 9 months ago

the post office is a service company.

why does management and the OIG want to CUT service?

• Reply to: A Penny for Your Thoughts?   5 years 9 months ago

Several years ago I purchased a halloween costume for my son. At the time I ordered, the company told me they could not mail my purchase with the USPS. When I received my package, I was extremely mad. I was charged double the shipping, (it came by UPS), and the company I ordered it from, put my son's costume in a FREE US Postal Service priority box. They had turned the box inside out and mailed it to me. My suggestion: the Postal Service needs to charge all customers (for example $3.00) for each box they want. WHen this customer returns to actually mail it, they will be given a $3.00 CREDIT towards mailing cost. The USPS is giving out free stuff with out and income. Just a suggestion. Thanks!