• Reply to: Modes of Delivery   5 years 8 months ago

In our office this is the rule now the carriers tell the boss's where the boxs should go they go out and tell the builder and no mail starts till they go where we say they go centralized delivery just meens all the boxs together and we have them out on the sidewalk in the normal walking path the dumb ideal you would drive to the box "lazy person" and a cover over the boxs dumb idea if there is 10 boxs would you rather walk to 10 porch boxs or 10 all in one spot i know 10 in one spot will be much faster to deliver then 10 all over the place I have allways said i would deliver twice as much mail if i could walk down the sidewalk puishing a cart "like the training video" then half the mail i have now with the 3234 stairs i now do the stairs are the only bad part of the job every seioner route was bid on because there were no stairs or way less

• Reply to: Modes of Delivery   5 years 8 months ago

If you have a carrier on foot making deliveries door to door deliveries, and a curbside delivery comes up. Does the carrier walk back to LLV and then drive to curbside box to make delivery?, and then countinue with the foot beat.What does that save ?

• Reply to: Modes of Delivery   5 years 8 months ago

If we go to all centralized, for the best service they should be covered by some type of awning, ensureing their mail will not get wet, would also probibly extend the life of the mbu/cbu boxes as well.

• Reply to: Modes of Delivery   5 years 8 months ago

The public will hang on to the "free " door to door service. That is human nature. No one will care about the few cents increased for this service except the large mailers. This will take the act of congress to change that. All the private businesses who still do business like 100 years ago, they are all out of business long long time ago. Only Postal Service who still deliver mail door to door like 100 years still survived. Are they? Oh, no they are failing now. Don't the congress see that. Is true that it will be beginning of the end of the unions if that happens. No wonder the congress don't want to deal with this issue. The alternative is for the Postal Service return to be Postal Department and the government will take care of the expenditure. And then endless inflation.....

• Reply to: Modes of Delivery   5 years 8 months ago

the post office is a service company.

why does management and the OIG want to CUT service?

• Reply to: A Penny for Your Thoughts?   5 years 8 months ago

Several years ago I purchased a halloween costume for my son. At the time I ordered, the company told me they could not mail my purchase with the USPS. When I received my package, I was extremely mad. I was charged double the shipping, (it came by UPS), and the company I ordered it from, put my son's costume in a FREE US Postal Service priority box. They had turned the box inside out and mailed it to me. My suggestion: the Postal Service needs to charge all customers (for example $3.00) for each box they want. WHen this customer returns to actually mail it, they will be given a $3.00 CREDIT towards mailing cost. The USPS is giving out free stuff with out and income. Just a suggestion. Thanks!

• Reply to: Modes of Delivery   5 years 8 months ago

I believe that they are not making the right kind of effort to promote centralized delivery. Since people tend to instictively resist change, the public needs to learn that with NDCBUs they receive superior service at a lower cost. In particular, the ability to receive parcels in a separate, locked container is immensly valuable to working people, and would probably promote more mail-order business. And...I can't tell you how many times I had to replace my old curbside mailbox/post.

• Reply to: Silly Rules   5 years 8 months ago

This ones not a rule but more of a practice done by management...

After they promote a craft employee to a Delivery Supervisor and then send them through the ASP course, they find out the person has no people skills, motivation, or ability to perform in the position.

The usual solution...promote them to a Postmaster position in a small post office.

This really sends a positive signal to all employees that even if you can't perform as a supervisor (any other EAS positions) we will just make you a Postmaster. And the 204B's that have been following behind the deadbeat supervisor and cleaning up the messes so the office still looks good on paper, can't get promoted because the useless emplyees are getting the small Postmaster positions. Really makes me want to be a 204B and work hard......

• Reply to: Silly Rules   5 years 8 months ago

Ooops.. I just posted my list and these are things I think we should do..

I didn't mean they are silly rules.

• Reply to: Silly Rules   5 years 8 months ago

Random drug tests/breathalyzer employees.

Discuss basic hygiene and dental care with employees, enforce it.

Train employees to use basic courtesy. Respect is too strong of a word.

Psychological testing/counselling to employees with history of violent outbursts or anger issues.

Enforce state/city tobacco laws on Postal property and in vehicles.

Allow employees to use their earned sick leave without harassment.

Eliminate all scans other than accountable postal items.

Scheduled maintenance for vehicles so carriers may leave rain gear in vehicles.

Properly train PTFs and allow them ample time to deliver a route in an accurate fashion.

Stress confidentiality to supervisors and carriers (MYOB).

Single out and discipline the carrier that is/has- not made 5, missed noon delivery on an Express, gotten in an accident, used too much sick leave, late for work all the time. Stop yelling at us as a group and stop giving me these memos!!

Answer the phone within 5 rings.

Clearly mark the customer entrance VS the Postal entrance lot.

I'll think of more..

• Reply to: Silly Rules   5 years 8 months ago

We have bar codes on our toilets, they are part of the Carrier Restroom Accountability Program.

You guys don't have this?

• Reply to: A Penny for Your Thoughts?   5 years 8 months ago

As I have seen with many companies, the USPS needs to be customer focused to make money.

I have three suggestions. 1) Simplify the rate structure. My biggest gripe is having to drive to the PO in this day and age just to weigh a letter because it might be heavier than an ounce or slightly outside certain "normal" dimensions. I would rather pay a penny or two more on the first ounce if I could just know it was flat fate for letters up to a certain much larger size (people have rulers. they tend not to have oz scales). 2) Partner with Hallmark and other card vendors to sell prepaid envelopes. I am not sure logistically how this could be done, but I am sure Hallmark could have a wall behind the cash register with colorful envelopes which match standard card sizes. This way, the consumer does not worry about weight and size, no stamps need to be printed, and the post office can set the price upfront with the card vendor to the extent of maybe even making the cost "included" in the card price. Once again, I do not have to expend extra effort to find and buy stamps. A lot of card stores already have PO boxes outside, but making sure that they do (maybe make sure they have it inside the store) would be great. 3) really market the personalized stamps. Once again, Hallmark and other card vendors could have in-store machines (no weights or packages--cards only) with SD/MMC, etc slots to read a digital image and print the postage. The machines could also print international postage.

Personal letters are becoming a thing of the past. Card stores and the USPS should partner together on this front since they have the same objective when it comes to personal mail.

• Reply to: Competition   5 years 8 months ago

USPS has already lost the personal mail and bill pay competition. Focus on packages.

I agree with Online Shopper. Yes, younger generations may not mail personal letters anymore and pay bills online. The USPS needs to focus on what the younger generation does do (each year they get older). Young generations do not buy books from brick and mortar bookstores. They buy online. But, they still need those packages shipped. When books are no longer read, the devices need to be shipped.

On the flipside, sending the packages needs to be more user friendly. 1) have the APSCs accept cash. 2) have the APSCs equipped with sensors so they know when they are full 3) hire some people across different regions to empty the APSCs when the feedback mechanism is tripped. I cannot say how many times I have to DRIVE TO 3 DIFFERENT POST OFFICES on the weekend because the APSCs at the first two were full (and not even during the holiday season.

Here is another idea - charge bulk mail senders extra money for special "feedback" service stamps. If a bulk item has a feedback service stamp, then the USPS will be able to send that bulk item back to the sender (that way the bulk senders know what works like online vendors do). The USPS could have recycling centers put in place at PO boxes and pedestals to collect unwanted mail (I hate having to take bulk home, go through it, throw items out, bag it up, and have the trash people take it.

I would also focus on marketing USPS certified e-mail. I believe the USPS offers this service but many people do not realize it exists.

• Reply to: Year 2   5 years 8 months ago

This type of medium is what will save the USPS,
    (if that is still possible). Frankly, it might be too
    late. However, I believe it is not too late!!!
    And the USPS is not "Too Big to Fail".
    I'm a great believer in Technology (and I'm not talking about scanning bar-codes on "just in time"* operations, i.e. MVS. I'm talking about "cots applications"** that execute the adopted business model.

This is just like having a business meeting via
    teleconferencing, with limitations.

But, I know Mr. Big is reading the input!!!!!!!!!
    Because they know, the current executive administration has far reaching tentacles that can axe their political slot in a New York minute.
    You may be a double dipping colonel today, then tomorrow, zip, you'll be working for some consulting firm that expects results.

And, as far as "tattling goes"? I think they already
    know most of the current "going ons". I don't think there are any ponzi schemes that the employees are
    up to. Except for maybe some of the shenanigans that
    happen in middle management to keep certain fellow managers (with college degrees, or not) down.

I say open up the flood gates on ideas you might have, and give OIG credit where it's due!!!

At least they're asking your opinion!!! Geez, are
    you aware of how often this happens!!! Not very....

Dude, this is "totally kool", as twixter's might say!!

Darwin even knew that "change is inevitable".
    Embrace it!!!

* inventory strategy perfected by Wal-Mart Corp.
    ** Commercial of the Shelf-Means you don't have to
    re-create the Wheel to make it work. Not proprietary
    like most stove pipe organizations.

• Reply to: Year 2   5 years 8 months ago

Rup,

In response to your comment, I'm sorry that you feel the OIG is being sneaky, but we intend this blog to be an honest forum soliciting debate on issues important to the Postal Service. Sometimes, we do use that feedback in some of the OIG's reports.

Commenters do not have to leave their name or e-mail address. If someone makes a specific accusation more appropriate to the OIG's hotline, we don't post the comment and forward it to the hotline instead.

After working with the blog for a while, one thing that is very evident is how much deep commitment there is to the Postal Service at all levels of the organization. We hope this blog provides a forum for everyone concerned about the Postal Service and its future.

• Reply to: Silly Rules   5 years 8 months ago

I like the 5 minute rule. You guys need to stick with that!

• Reply to: A Penny for Your Thoughts?   5 years 8 months ago

I think that the price of the stamps need to go down anyway!!

• Reply to: A Penny for Your Thoughts?   5 years 8 months ago

The .44 sure is ia bargain. Why is everyone complaining????!?!

• Reply to: Silly Rules   5 years 8 months ago

That toilet comment is crazy!!!

• Reply to: How Should the Postal Service Sell Its Products?   5 years 8 months ago

I think that this is all a joke. Eveyone has there opionions. So leave it at that!!!!!!!

I think that the Postal Service should be self sufficient there's enough debt about without adding more to it. Some people will be willing to pay more for additional services so target them!

• Reply to: Mystery Shoppers   5 years 8 months ago

I think the only customer that the USPS cares about IS the mystery shopper. Why else would we be harassing every other customer with our robotic litany of questions just to get a 100% on our mystery shops. By the way, the only customer that DOESN'T matter is the mystery shopper, when he or she is mystery shopping. Our regular customers feel sorry for us clerks and what we have to go through when doing our jobs, especially our list of questions they hear over and over when they are waiting in line.

• Reply to: Year 2   5 years 8 months ago

While the OIG blog is professional and good, there is something insidious about some of your posts.

While fostering conversation is one thing, I feel many of your posts and questions are evidence gathering in nature. After all, the OIG investigatest he Postal Service and you are soliciting postal employees to tattle on their employer.

It just seems...icky to me.

I know you have a job to do, but I would prefer you not be sneaky.

• Reply to: Year 2   5 years 8 months ago

No they dont need the far right spin on things....they (OIG) do enough damage (spin) on their own.....

• Reply to: Year 2   5 years 8 months ago

I think it's great OIG is sponsoring a space to raise issues and solicit feedback on postal issues. However, I think it will be good to broaden the topics to more public policy issues and to broaden the contributors' base by inviting guest bloggers with diverse points of views. Kudos.