• Reply to: Modes of Delivery   5 years 6 months ago

The delivery confirmation system is not meeting our customers' needs. We keep getting mandates about having to make "arrival at unit" scans and "Stop the clock" scans all in the name of "better visibility". This is not giving customers what they want. Customers don't need to see that we made 4 scans once the package arrived at the office, they want to see all the steps BETWEEN point A and point B, so they know when they can reasonably expect their package.

• Reply to: Modes of Delivery   5 years 6 months ago

The reason USPS doesnot use modern technology like FEDEX to track Parcels and other services such express mail,etc. someone decided to accept low bid and USPS Exec.s do not really care about service to the public they just want to make their high three and bonsus. If the OIG/Postal Inpection Service really did their job . They would really investigate management and not bury their heads in sand .

• Reply to: Silly Rules   5 years 6 months ago

You should be allowed to go to the toilet for an extra 5 minutes if you promise not to wash your hands thus saving precious time there.

• Reply to: Modes of Delivery   5 years 6 months ago

The USPS is one of the most well managed systems in the US today. They deliver around 203 billion pieces of mail a year and do well to keep things in check at all times.

• Reply to: Modes of Delivery   5 years 6 months ago

I agree. We currently have two rural carriers in my office that need to work a 6th day, just to get a full week's pay. The third rural carrier maintains her income and is an officer in the Rural Carrier's Union. I am a city carrier whose route has been reduced to part-time with 945 delivery points. The only full-time city carrier's route is 825 delivery points. These are the facts; therefore, I am very interested in NDCBU's coming my way!
    Thank you for this opportunity to expose what I know.

• Reply to: Modes of Delivery   5 years 6 months ago

Ever wonder why people do not like sending packages stateside or receiving them from overseas with you all. Because with all the technology of today you can not tell them where there package is. And when you call it's like oh well nothing I can do is the answer you recieve. Sorry I would rather pay a little extra and have someone be able to track my package even when it is the back of a truck. If it was not for companies still sending bills and Junk mail, you all would have to go find a real job.

• Reply to: Modes of Delivery   5 years 6 months ago

While centralized delivery may, in most suburban and rural areas, be a viable solution, in an urban enviroment it lacks security, convenence and degrades the service to the customer. In the city I deliver entire NDCBU's have been stolen. Mail thieves can now rob multiple boxes in one stop with out ever approaching the homes.

• Reply to: Modes of Delivery   5 years 6 months ago

With the volume dropping year after year, maybe the Postal Service could look into combining rural routes. Actually build them back up, so that the carriers are doing a fair days work for a fair days pay. I don't understand why the Postal Service is paying some of these folks to work 41 hours per week and some are working as little as "who knows" maybe 27.

• Reply to: Modes of Delivery   5 years 6 months ago

I have mentioned this a few times before, by why can't the Postal Service just give customers a no-fee post office box in lieu of street delivery? They can re-establish the old rule that stated that if you lived within a certain distance from an office that you had to get a PO box there. Based on the numbers I saw a while back, the savings would come to a little over $100 per delivery point each year. The PS would save a ton of money if they did this. You would lose the revenue from the PO Box, but that would be more than offset by the savings.

In most cases, there are plenty of PO Boxes already available in the small level 11-13 offices that can be used. It would increase productivity in the small offices-using them more to their full potential, and also save the expense of installing and maintaining CBUs.

I find it strange that the justification for paying for a PO box is that the PS has to maintain them, change locks etc, but don't CBUs require the same maintenance?

• Reply to: Modes of Delivery   5 years 6 months ago

We could save billions of dollars per year by not delivering any mail at all!

• Reply to: Modes of Delivery   5 years 6 months ago

As a letter carrier that serviced a business route I can only say that the businesses are better served with door to door delivery. That is how you establish a rappor with your customer. That is how Customer Connect is successful. Having a face to face with your customers. Management seems to have forgotten the thing that made us successful in the first place. SERVICE!

• Reply to: Modes of Delivery   5 years 6 months ago

As a former mail carrier and a current customer I see no advantage of cluster boxes. Many reason why I hate them as I will list a few. As a carrier I had 101 aprtments in which evry single apartment had its own cell on my case to sort the mail ( this was the best way to sort the mail because it was in sequence and knew who was on hold , had forwards and vacants or has a Post Office Box). Managents clueless idea was to take some thing that worked perfectly and made it worthless. Now for cluster boxes as a carrier you put all mail for an individual cluster box in one cell in no order so now you have to sort all this mail on the steet. Anyone from the north will tell you that this method sucks in the winter Instead of being at a box less than a minute now you may be at a box for 5 minutes because nothing is in order. Try that on a overcast 5 degree day. In the summer every one is waiting on their mail so instead of getting in and getting out , oh no, lets make the customers wait while we sort all this mail. One of the most moronic things I have seen in the Post Office BUT NOT THE MOST MORONIC>

• Reply to: Modes of Delivery   5 years 6 months ago

In our office this is the rule now the carriers tell the boss's where the boxs should go they go out and tell the builder and no mail starts till they go where we say they go centralized delivery just meens all the boxs together and we have them out on the sidewalk in the normal walking path the dumb ideal you would drive to the box "lazy person" and a cover over the boxs dumb idea if there is 10 boxs would you rather walk to 10 porch boxs or 10 all in one spot i know 10 in one spot will be much faster to deliver then 10 all over the place I have allways said i would deliver twice as much mail if i could walk down the sidewalk puishing a cart "like the training video" then half the mail i have now with the 3234 stairs i now do the stairs are the only bad part of the job every seioner route was bid on because there were no stairs or way less

• Reply to: Modes of Delivery   5 years 6 months ago

If you have a carrier on foot making deliveries door to door deliveries, and a curbside delivery comes up. Does the carrier walk back to LLV and then drive to curbside box to make delivery?, and then countinue with the foot beat.What does that save ?

• Reply to: Modes of Delivery   5 years 6 months ago

If we go to all centralized, for the best service they should be covered by some type of awning, ensureing their mail will not get wet, would also probibly extend the life of the mbu/cbu boxes as well.

• Reply to: Modes of Delivery   5 years 6 months ago

The public will hang on to the "free " door to door service. That is human nature. No one will care about the few cents increased for this service except the large mailers. This will take the act of congress to change that. All the private businesses who still do business like 100 years ago, they are all out of business long long time ago. Only Postal Service who still deliver mail door to door like 100 years still survived. Are they? Oh, no they are failing now. Don't the congress see that. Is true that it will be beginning of the end of the unions if that happens. No wonder the congress don't want to deal with this issue. The alternative is for the Postal Service return to be Postal Department and the government will take care of the expenditure. And then endless inflation.....

• Reply to: Modes of Delivery   5 years 6 months ago

the post office is a service company.

why does management and the OIG want to CUT service?

• Reply to: A Penny for Your Thoughts?   5 years 6 months ago

Several years ago I purchased a halloween costume for my son. At the time I ordered, the company told me they could not mail my purchase with the USPS. When I received my package, I was extremely mad. I was charged double the shipping, (it came by UPS), and the company I ordered it from, put my son's costume in a FREE US Postal Service priority box. They had turned the box inside out and mailed it to me. My suggestion: the Postal Service needs to charge all customers (for example $3.00) for each box they want. WHen this customer returns to actually mail it, they will be given a $3.00 CREDIT towards mailing cost. The USPS is giving out free stuff with out and income. Just a suggestion. Thanks!

• Reply to: Modes of Delivery   5 years 6 months ago

I believe that they are not making the right kind of effort to promote centralized delivery. Since people tend to instictively resist change, the public needs to learn that with NDCBUs they receive superior service at a lower cost. In particular, the ability to receive parcels in a separate, locked container is immensly valuable to working people, and would probably promote more mail-order business. And...I can't tell you how many times I had to replace my old curbside mailbox/post.

• Reply to: Silly Rules   5 years 7 months ago

This ones not a rule but more of a practice done by management...

After they promote a craft employee to a Delivery Supervisor and then send them through the ASP course, they find out the person has no people skills, motivation, or ability to perform in the position.

The usual solution...promote them to a Postmaster position in a small post office.

This really sends a positive signal to all employees that even if you can't perform as a supervisor (any other EAS positions) we will just make you a Postmaster. And the 204B's that have been following behind the deadbeat supervisor and cleaning up the messes so the office still looks good on paper, can't get promoted because the useless emplyees are getting the small Postmaster positions. Really makes me want to be a 204B and work hard......

• Reply to: Silly Rules   5 years 7 months ago

Ooops.. I just posted my list and these are things I think we should do..

I didn't mean they are silly rules.

• Reply to: Silly Rules   5 years 7 months ago

Random drug tests/breathalyzer employees.

Discuss basic hygiene and dental care with employees, enforce it.

Train employees to use basic courtesy. Respect is too strong of a word.

Psychological testing/counselling to employees with history of violent outbursts or anger issues.

Enforce state/city tobacco laws on Postal property and in vehicles.

Allow employees to use their earned sick leave without harassment.

Eliminate all scans other than accountable postal items.

Scheduled maintenance for vehicles so carriers may leave rain gear in vehicles.

Properly train PTFs and allow them ample time to deliver a route in an accurate fashion.

Stress confidentiality to supervisors and carriers (MYOB).

Single out and discipline the carrier that is/has- not made 5, missed noon delivery on an Express, gotten in an accident, used too much sick leave, late for work all the time. Stop yelling at us as a group and stop giving me these memos!!

Answer the phone within 5 rings.

Clearly mark the customer entrance VS the Postal entrance lot.

I'll think of more..

• Reply to: Silly Rules   5 years 7 months ago

We have bar codes on our toilets, they are part of the Carrier Restroom Accountability Program.

You guys don't have this?

• Reply to: A Penny for Your Thoughts?   5 years 7 months ago

As I have seen with many companies, the USPS needs to be customer focused to make money.

I have three suggestions. 1) Simplify the rate structure. My biggest gripe is having to drive to the PO in this day and age just to weigh a letter because it might be heavier than an ounce or slightly outside certain "normal" dimensions. I would rather pay a penny or two more on the first ounce if I could just know it was flat fate for letters up to a certain much larger size (people have rulers. they tend not to have oz scales). 2) Partner with Hallmark and other card vendors to sell prepaid envelopes. I am not sure logistically how this could be done, but I am sure Hallmark could have a wall behind the cash register with colorful envelopes which match standard card sizes. This way, the consumer does not worry about weight and size, no stamps need to be printed, and the post office can set the price upfront with the card vendor to the extent of maybe even making the cost "included" in the card price. Once again, I do not have to expend extra effort to find and buy stamps. A lot of card stores already have PO boxes outside, but making sure that they do (maybe make sure they have it inside the store) would be great. 3) really market the personalized stamps. Once again, Hallmark and other card vendors could have in-store machines (no weights or packages--cards only) with SD/MMC, etc slots to read a digital image and print the postage. The machines could also print international postage.

Personal letters are becoming a thing of the past. Card stores and the USPS should partner together on this front since they have the same objective when it comes to personal mail.

• Reply to: Competition   5 years 7 months ago

USPS has already lost the personal mail and bill pay competition. Focus on packages.

I agree with Online Shopper. Yes, younger generations may not mail personal letters anymore and pay bills online. The USPS needs to focus on what the younger generation does do (each year they get older). Young generations do not buy books from brick and mortar bookstores. They buy online. But, they still need those packages shipped. When books are no longer read, the devices need to be shipped.

On the flipside, sending the packages needs to be more user friendly. 1) have the APSCs accept cash. 2) have the APSCs equipped with sensors so they know when they are full 3) hire some people across different regions to empty the APSCs when the feedback mechanism is tripped. I cannot say how many times I have to DRIVE TO 3 DIFFERENT POST OFFICES on the weekend because the APSCs at the first two were full (and not even during the holiday season.

Here is another idea - charge bulk mail senders extra money for special "feedback" service stamps. If a bulk item has a feedback service stamp, then the USPS will be able to send that bulk item back to the sender (that way the bulk senders know what works like online vendors do). The USPS could have recycling centers put in place at PO boxes and pedestals to collect unwanted mail (I hate having to take bulk home, go through it, throw items out, bag it up, and have the trash people take it.

I would also focus on marketing USPS certified e-mail. I believe the USPS offers this service but many people do not realize it exists.