• Reply to: Do you agree with the Postal Service’s decision to change the name of Express Mail and rename Parcel Post?   2 months 2 weeks ago

This is ridiculous. I repurchased a label from my usps account history and need to schedule a pickup. The only thing the label says is priority 2 day. I have no clue which envelope I am suppose to use the priority express or priority mail. If they are going to be changing things they should at least make it convenient and have the names of the service clearly match in their system for the consumer. Now I have to make calls taking up my valuable time to find out how to send to make sure the mailman picks it up, thus, if the envelope doesn't have appropriate service attached it will not take it and leave it at my doorstep. Urg, leave well enough alone. Bad enough their website is so hard to even locate your package history without going to stupid tabs that don't make completing task easy and simple.

• Reply to: Go Secure With gopost   2 months 2 weeks ago

I would hope you could help with this but I'm realistic. I spoke with Kathy this morning at the main station for 99224. She said the carrier delivered both packages to my box at the same time. She said the carrier told her the 9:52 time stamp was an error and that she did deliver both at 1:13 to me. I picked up my mail shortly after that time. Because I had been tracking these pieces I was watching closely. Having not received both I went back out to look again whether it had been dropped. No.
    I have to say it is pretty strange that the missing pieces also was a scanning mistake. I also think it strange that if a person got into my mailbox why they would only take one package?

• Reply to: Go Secure With gopost   2 months 2 weeks ago

Hello Gail,

Thank you for taking the time to notify our offices of this issue. The USPS Office of Inspector General investigates waste, theft, fraud and abuse within the Postal Service (USPS).

We have forwarded your message to the customer service office of the USPS in an effort to assist you in this matter.

Thank you.

U.S. Postal Service Office of Inspector General

• Reply to: The First Shall Be Last…and Middle Mile   2 months 2 weeks ago

Thank you for your additional comments. The Postal Regulatory Commission reviews the discounts and the associated costs savings every year in its Annual Compliance Determination (ACD), as the current law requires discounts to be no more than the associated cost savings with a few exceptions. You can find their ACD on their website at www.prc.gov.

• Reply to: Go Secure With gopost   2 months 2 weeks ago

I DON"T love this idea. I have spent an hour trying to find out where my tracked package is. Went thru UPS and then thru USPS. I do not like that concept either.
    Finally determined my package was DELIVERED to a parcel locker. I have no idea what a parcel locker was. Is my item in a safe location at the Post Office for delivery today? Is it in someone else's "Parcel Locker".
    A matter of my full mailbox? No! No one came to my door either.
    Not happy with the Parcel locker concept with no information on the tracking page other than "DELIVERED" and no other info about what is next.

• Reply to: The First Shall Be Last…and Middle Mile   2 months 2 weeks ago

Most discussions of the “last mile” including this one don’t place enough emphasis and understanding on how destination mail processing contributes to the efficiency of delivery at the “last mile”. DPS processing is required to maintain delivery efficiency. DPS processing requires a local monopoly on processing mail at the destination. This study does not address the fact that to outsource all middle mile processing would require local private monopolies which would have degree of pricing power that would tend to increase processing costs even more than the model this study uses.

• Reply to: The First Shall Be Last…and Middle Mile   2 months 2 weeks ago

The further study needed on outsourcing the middle mile is an audit of actual USPS mail processing costs and associated work share discounts. Is Efficient Component Pricing actually happening as is being assumed?
    This is a fairly monumental task to audit completely so a component approach would be a more realistic first step. For example a study that audited the cost of the USPS converting AADC automation letters to 5 digit automation letters would not be that big of an undertaking. By comparing that cost to the work share discount difference between the categories an evaluation of whether that portion of a work share discount is actually Efficient Component Pricing could be relatively easily determined.
    I think you will find that PRC legacy work share cost models tend to overstate current USPS letter processing costs by at least 50%.

• Reply to: The First Shall Be Last…and Middle Mile   2 months 3 weeks ago

You have a VERY BIG IF in your comment. If the ECF is being used properly then the mail mix is the most efficient. Possibly. It appears that a paper by you on the basic assumption of workshare would be appropriate.......To get to the nitty gritty------If USPS can make a profit by absorbing more of the processing, any idiot would go for it.......So If I was OIG I'd dig deep and see where extra income and profit could be determined from readjusting all this workshare business.

Thanks for your response.

• Reply to: The Postal Service and Its Obligation   2 months 3 weeks ago

Hello Sally,

Thank you for taking the time to contact our offices. The USPS Office of Inspector General investigates waste, theft, fraud and abuse within the Postal Service (USPS).

We have forwarded your complaint to the customer service office of the USPS.

Thank you.

U.S. Postal Service Office of Inspector General

• Reply to: The First Shall Be Last…and Middle Mile   2 months 3 weeks ago

Thank you for your comment. The paper somewhat addresses this issue, in that it finds that if the assumption that Efficient Component Pricing is being used properly (discounts are based on the actual cost savings USPS incurs as a result of workshare), that the current mix of workshare mail is the most efficient result. In other words, it leads to the Postal Service processing the mail when it can do so more efficiently, and the private industry doing the sorting the mail when they can do so more efficiently. A more thorough examination of workshare and whether or not its prices accurately reflect the costs avoided would be an interesting topic, but are beyond the scope of this paper.

• Reply to: The Postal Service and Its Obligation   2 months 3 weeks ago

I had a similar problem. A certified letter slip was left at my door. I live in a condo so can easily hear the doorbell. I don't think the carrier used it. Then I asked that it be delivered the next day by 2:30 as she supposedly arrives around two and I had to leave at 2:30. I waited and there was no knock on the door nor a slip. Thus, I tried to call the pick up post office and have been trying since 8:30 a.m. It is now 11:01. I am going to have to go to the post office which is a ways away and see if it is there. I understand people not using the post office if there is an alternative. I also don't appreciate having to put in a code image to see if I am intelligent enough to give the post office a message. It is insulting.

• Reply to: The First Shall Be Last…and Middle Mile   2 months 3 weeks ago

The "Last Mile"? The USPS is in process of destroying the last mile! By definition the last mile is the delivery of mail including 1st class, periodicals, flats and PARCELS to the customers door step. The USPS is installing cluster boxes, these ARE NOT customers door steps and if the customer has a parcel being delivered, now they get a note in their cluster box telling them to go to the local PO to pick it up, this is NOT the customers door step. And on top of that the local PO may only be open from 9 am to noon requiring the customer to take time off from work to pick up their parcel. All in all just bad for business.

• Reply to: The Postal Service and Its Obligation   2 months 3 weeks ago

I have the same issue.
    We pay for delivery and get a pink slip instead. Excuses before were : "There were no cars in front of the house and we assumed there was nobody home" (Da, we have garages.....).
    Today I was waiting all day for delivery. When she showed up I asked why she chose not to deliver the box on Saturday (I double checked, The box never left the office out for delivery). The excuse was stunning : "The box was too big and I don't have enough room in my car!!!!!" How is that for an answer?

By the way, because we live in the county, the USPS outsourced delivery to some woman, she drives her own car, with letters and boxes flying all over.
    How can USPS guarantee that the letters don't get lost?

I wish we had some other companies delivering. Never had issues with UPS.

• Reply to: Postal Service Customer Service Is It Working for You?   2 months 3 weeks ago

Hello John,

Please contact your local USPS Office of Consumer Affairs by phone at (412) 359-7845. They will be able to help you track down your package.

Thank you.

• Reply to: Have you used a Postal Service app of any kind?   2 months 3 weeks ago

Thank you for your comment Avery. The Postal Service app actually already does what you are describing. Within the USPS app, go to find locations, select “blue collection box” and a location (finding a location near you is an option). Then when it lists the closest mail boxes, it also tells you their collection times.

• Reply to: If you have been to a Post Office with a kiosk, but opted to wait for a clerk instead, what was the basis for your decision?   2 months 3 weeks ago

I often send items to the US Virgin Islands where mail sometimes slip through the cracks when it arrives at our processing center in Puerto Rico so I like to deal with a person and ask questions, and based on the answers I have received from postal employees. I am noting a flaw in the system, I track every package I send and there is no update until the package arrives at the destination even though it is handled by others. However my US mail I use the kiosk.

• Reply to: The First Shall Be Last…and Middle Mile   2 months 3 weeks ago

A quick "down and dirty" review of this white paper......When you wade through all the equations and esoteric language a question should scream back out of this report.
    The professor states that if USPS abandons processing then there would be no control left on keeping costs down for mailers. USPS somehow acts as a market controller. AND, if USPS abandoned processing, it would lose PROFIT.
    The question which begs to be asked is the following:
    If the market needs USPS processing and USPS sees a profit from processing, just why the hell is USPS dismantling its processing network?
    Workshare came about when USPS processing was maxed out. Any business would outsource, but they'd bring business back in house as soon as capacity was available. It appears OIG should take the next step and investigate the basic premise of outsourcing and compare it to reducing this outsourcing and increasing inhouse work...Would USPS increase profit from this strategy?

I'm looking for a package that tracking indicates it left Warren Pa. on Nov. 22. Any idea how I can find this Package? thanks, John

Hello Saro,

We apologize for the inconvenience that you have experienced. Your best course of action would be to contact your local USPS Office of Consumer Affairs at (410) 347-4330. They should be able to help remedy the situation.

Thank you.

• Reply to: The Postal Service and Its Obligation   2 months 3 weeks ago

Hello Jo Anne,

We are to sorry to hear about the problems you are having with your deliveries. Your best option would be to file a complaint with our office at https://www.uspsoig.gov/form/new-complaint-form and then we can forward this issue to the right department .

As well, you can contact you local Office of Consumer Affairs at (704) 424-4422 .

• Reply to: The Postal Service and Its Obligation   2 months 3 weeks ago

I am having an ongoing problem with our local post office and have been searching online for assistance. I found this website and AMAZINGLY the very first comment I see describes exactly the same problem! (Submitted by TMH on Tue, 11/25/2014 - 17:02).

I swear I could have written the comment myself! The Post Office will not deliver packages to my house. We get an outdated form placed in our mailbox stating "attempted delivery" when there was no attempt what-so-ever. At times the carrier does not even put our packages in his car. He just leaves them at the Post Office because he knows he is not going to deliver them. Just as the other writer stated, we have to drive to town 2 or 3 times a week to pick up our packages which is more work for the Postal Clerks as well. There is no tracking number or other information on the slip. This week, one of our packages was perishable (not noted on the slip). Had we not picked it up the next day, it could have eventually spoiled.

Again, as the other postal customer wrote, we have reported this problem several times and never heard a word back, nor did anything change. Finally we attempted to speak with the postmaster. He was "out" so we left a detailed message and the clerk stated the PM would call us back right away. He never called. The following day I went back to the P.O. to pick up yet another package and asked again to speak to the postmaster. He was "in"! When I asked about the lack of a return call (over 24 hours later), he said he was very busy, had been "out", and had just gotten back in his office. However he did not even apologize for not calling. He also said that there was nothing that would be done about the lack of delivery to our house.

I too have no problem with UPS and Fed-Ex. Those friendly guys drive their big box trucks and smaller vans right up to our and give us the package or leave it on the porch. Then they turn around in our huge, paved parking area and are happily on their way. I also wish there was another service that could deliver all of my mail. I believe some true competition for the U.S. Postal Service would straighten things out right away. There would be huge numbers of people out there who would like to start a mail delivery business and would be customer service focused, efficient and successful.

I read your comment policy and I was uncertain whether I am allowed to identify our Post Office. The policy was unclear. That said, our Post Office is Black Mountain, NC 28711. You know who the postmaster is and how to reach him to confirm all this information.

Regards -

• Reply to: Does the Postal Service Need International Service Centers?   2 months 3 weeks ago

From what I see is when something happens to go to a ISC it gets slowed down by a day or more.
    The ISC sends it to another postal center that then has to send it to one that sends to my local Post Office.
    If it comes to New York and does not go to the ISC it goes right to Postal Center that gets it to my Post Office
    the next day. Anything that hits a ISC gets delayed every time. In other words the ISC does not send to the right center
    to get it to my Post Office so the wrong center has to send it to the right center.

I've also had a problem with the self-kiosk not delivering stamps. Last Wed evening 11/26 before Thanksgiving, I paid $9.05 for a Priority Mail letter w/ certified mail delivery with my debit card at the kiosk at Wight Ave Cockeysville, MD and got a receipt, but no stamps. Since it was after hours there was no help and the kiosk at the nearby Deereco Rd PO had no stamps either. I travelled the next day and I ended up mailing the letter from another state. On my return, I went to the Wight Ave PO this morning and was told by a supervisor (?) that having a receipt was not proof that the stamps were not delivered and there was nothing he could do about it. He didn't explain what specific proof I needed and didn’t appear interested in really looking into the matter. It seemed I was out of luck that I paid for something that wasn't delivered but had no recourse because I had “no proof that it happened” and to my dismay, he agreed with my assessment. Frankly, I felt he did not believe me and this quite was embarrassing but the reviews here tell me I am not alone. Perhaps with time, Post Master General will take note that this is a problem for some customers and create a policy/process that will potentially help and not embarrass them.

It would be awesome if USPS could introduce an app that showed users where the nearest mailbox is to their location. If it had approximate pickup times, that would be even better.

Also, I'd love to see an app that would allow users to upload a picture of items they'd like to send and advise on the best method to ship/pack/wrap them. It would be even cooler if the app used AR capacity to visualize the wrapping.

• Reply to: The Road to a New Delivery Fleet   2 months 4 weeks ago

This issue is mute - sadly, someone likely got a huge kickback from the Dodge Ram vans that lack visibility, increase the risk of injuries to the carrier by 1) exiting the vehicle on the street side rather than the curbside; 2) the back hatch and rotator cuff issues resulting from reaching overhead to pull the door closed repeatedly; 3) working from the curbside, outside the vehicle, during inclement weather especially, but at any time; 4) virtually eliminating the efficiency and ability of letter carriers to perform the duties that they are dedicated to effectively completing.