Bogus email art

In today’s world of package tracking and interconnectivity, an email from the U.S. Postal Service or even our Inspector General regarding mail delivery might seem legitimate.

That’s what the scammers want you to think. Unfortunately, some postal customers are getting bogus emails purporting to be from the Postal Service about an attempted or intercepted package delivery or online postage charges. These emails contain a link or attachment that, when opened, installs a malicious virus that can steal personal information from your personal computer.

If you receive a suspicious-looking email, do not click on the link or open the attachment. Like most viruses sent by email, doing so will activate a virus that can steal information — such as your user name, password, and financial account information. Simply delete the message without taking any further action.

And if you do receive an email that appears to be from the Postal Service and there is something that appears to be suspicious about it, you are welcome to report it to our Hotline.

Comments (159)

  • anon

    My experience with UPS is if you pay them to pack as well as ship, of course, they will honor damage claims. If they didn't pack, you're out of luck because why should they insure others' packing? And FedEx once made me pay for packing before shipping because they felt a slight rattle. I paid and thanked them.

    Aug 30, 2019
  • anon

    I got what is apparently a scam email saying my package (non-existent) was delivered, and to click on it. I've spent valuable time searching here for who to report if to and I don't see anything about scams.

    Aug 07, 2019
  • anon

    Hello. Thanks for your comment. For mail fraud, we recommend filing a complaint with the Postal Inspection Service at (877) 876-2455 or​

    Aug 08, 2019
  • anon

    I think here's what people are objecting to: Most big companies have an email address that we can forward fraudulent emails to. Why doesn't USPS? We don't really want to CALL and file a complaint. We just want to forward the email and get a response.

    Nov 27, 2019
  • anon

    I opened the email not knowing what it was. How do I remove the virus?

    Jun 05, 2019
  • anon

    What if they are trying to send mee money orders to cash? Or what if they actually sent a fake money order..

    May 25, 2019
  • anon

    Please feel free to contact me anytime this is been going on for over a year and since it’s not legal in the state of Wisconsin I should not be happening

    May 23, 2019
  • anon

    I'm bothered by this because I know that a person got one of these emails that had a package at his Post Office. How would scammers know that a customer has a package? Tracking system hacked? Infiormed delivery hacked? Sellers site hacked? Those are questions I hope the OIG is looking at for the safety of the postal service and their millions of customers.

    May 20, 2019
  • anon

    I have gotten several of these messages. They usually use incorrect tenses of verbs or have incorrect English usage in the wording that I can see without clicking on the e-mail. I have a good spam guard which, 99% of the time, sends these e-mails to the spam folder. The other 1% I send to the spam folder myself.

    May 20, 2019


Share this post

Recent Comments

Monthly Archive