- Project Title:
- Global Positioning System Trailer Visibility
- Start Date:
- Tuesday, December 6, 2016
- Estimated Report Release Date:
- March 2017
The U.S. Postal Service plans to begin using Global Positioning System (GPS) enabled trailers to increase operating efficiency, reduce costs, and improve reliability of its transportation network.
GPS technology has been used in private industry to provide visibility and vehicle information — known as breadcrumbs — on time of arrival and departure, near real-time location status, and historical information regarding line of travel. GPS technology can also increase increase trailer usage and yield efficiencies, service improvements, and cost reductions.
- How can a GPS solution help the Postal Service manage its trailer fleet operations?
- What should the Postal Service consider as it implements the trailer GPS to ensure effective planning and usage?