- Project Title:
- Effectiveness of Postal Service Efforts to Reduce Non-Career Employee Turnover
- Start Date:
- Tuesday, February 12, 2019
- Estimated Report Release Date:
- August 2019
The Postal Service hires non-career employees and temporary employees to supplement its regular workforce to help reduce staffing costs. The non-career employees earn lower wages than full time staff. The turnover rate of non-career employees is higher than the Postal Service wants. Reducing non-career employee turnover decreases the cost of hiring and training new employees, and lessens the related job-performance impact. Although non-career employee turnover cannot always be avoided, the root causes should be understood and addressed where possible.
We are conducting this audit to assess the Postal Service’s effectiveness in reducing non-career employee turnover and evaluating the underlying reasons for non-career turnover.
- What do you think are the underlying reasons for non-career employees leaving the Postal Service?
- What should the Postal Service be doing to help retain non-career employees?
- What impacts have you seen in the Postal Service workplace as a result of non-career employee turnover?