- Project Title:
- Small Package Sorting System Performance
- Start Date:
- Monday, May 8, 2017
- Estimated Report Release Date:
- November 2017
The rapid growth in ecommerce and expansion of the package delivery market has created opportunities for the Postal Service, helping drive double-digit growth in package volume since 2015. To expand package processing capacity, the Postal Service plans to purchase and install an additional seven Small Package Sorting Systems (SPSS) before the 2017 peak mailing season.
The SPSS is predominately a commercial, off-the-shelf sorter adapted to incorporate barcode and optical character reading technologies along with remote video encoding capabilities for sorting packages.
Our objective is to evaluate if the 33 currently deployed SPSS machines are meeting the Postal Service’s expected performance goals.
- How effective is the Postal Service in using SPSS machines to improve package processing capabilities and meet productivity and throughput goals?
- What obstacles or issues are preventing the SPSS from meeting stated productivity and throughput goals?
- Please explain any benefits or issues your facility has experienced with the SPSS machine.