- Project Title:
- U.S. Postal Inspection Service National Forensic Laboratory Services
- Start Date:
- Monday, September 23, 2019
- Estimated Report Release Date:
- March 2020
The Postal Inspection Service maintains a National Forensic Laboratory, which has forensic scientists, analysts, and contractors assisting postal inspectors in identifying, apprehending, prosecuting, and convicting individuals responsible for postal-related crimes. The forensic team conducts analysis of questioned documents, fingerprints, DNA, narcotics, physical evidence, and digital evidence that support investigations and meet prosecution standards.
The OIG is reviewing how the National Forensic Laboratory safeguards and packages evidence, and we would like to hear about your experience in the area.
- What practices or guidelines do other federal agencies’ laboratory services follow for safeguarding and packaging evidence?
- Have you experienced any issues with tracking your packages sending from and/or to the National Forensic Laboratory?
- Have you experienced any issues with the packing materials?
- What are some issues you have experienced working with law enforcement laboratories?