- Project Title:
- Effects of Intelligent Mail Barcodes on Costing
- Start Date:
- Monday, March 12, 2018
- Estimated Report Release Date:
- September 2018
Full-service Intelligent Mail barcodes (IMb) provide end-to-end visibility in the mail stream. It streamlines mail entry, expands access to scan data and mail-quality feedback to improve decision making, and improves efficiency. IMb further offers information about handling units and containers, and is used to assess service performance measurements. The technology makes it possible to track mail in a much smarter, more efficient manner.
Informed Visibility is an online system that uses IMb data to offer near real-time information and insights into the mail. Key components of the system are internal service performance measurement, mail inventory and predictive workloads to aid Postal Service operations, and mail tracking and reporting for business customers.
We are conducting an audit to assess whether the Postal Service can leverage full-service IMb technology and Informed Visibility to enhance the accuracy and reliability of costing. We will also assess whether Informed Visibility effectively captures, tracks, and reports full-service IMb mailpiece data.
- How can the Postal Service leverage IMb technology and Informed Visibility with identifying mail costs?
- How can Intelligent Mail technology be used to attribute mail costs to specific mail products?
- What improvements could the Postal Service make to enhance the effectiveness of Intelligent Mail technology?