- Project Title:
- Passport Application Acceptance Operations
- Start Date:
- Tuesday, February 2, 2021
- Estimated Report Release Date:
- August 2021
In fiscal year (FY) 2020, the Postal Service executed close to 4.4 million first-time passport applications – a 34 percent decline from FY 2019’s 6.6 million. Decreased international travel during the COVID-19 pandemic was likely the cause.
Certified Postal Service employees who serve as passport acceptance agents must pass an exam annually to continue processing applications. As of December 2020, the Postal Service had 19,281 active acceptance agents and 4,834 active acceptance facilities.
We plan to assess the Postal Service’s passport application acceptance operations and identify opportunities for improvement. We would love to hear from you.
- What concerns do you have regarding the Postal Service’s administration or management of passport application services?
- What changes would you make to improve the Postal Service’s passport application process?
- Have you delayed your application for a new passport or passport renewal due to the COVID-19 pandemic?