• Reply to: Where Have All the Pallets Gone?   2 years 5 months ago

Why not sell the pallets? I dropship and I get equal quantites that I leave back. If I want to use them for other things I can- the bulk rate USPS is paying is less than what average mailer would pay for high quality platic pallet. I lose them or send them to UPS it is on me. Stop giving them out freely- problem solved.

• Reply to: It’s a Small World, After All   2 years 5 months ago

globalization is the part of life...we canot live without it...

• Reply to: Offering eMailboxes to Consumers: An Opportunity for the Postal Service?   2 years 5 months ago

Let me add one more little tidbit (call it a tag to my previous commnent).
    You call this blog section "Ideas Worth Exlporing".
    I think in association with my last post, in these difficult fiscal periods, you should re-name it, "Ideas and Actions Worth Explaining".

jrk

• Reply to: Where Have All the Pallets Gone?   2 years 5 months ago

Thank you for taking the time to visit our Pushing The Envelope blog and provide comments. We appreciate your interest in this important MTE/pallet issue. All of the furnished information will be considered as we work with the Postal Service on appropriate corrective action. Once again, thank you for your contributions to this blog.

We have a new manager my post, he arrived at our location through a lateral.
    His J-O-B is to monitor the fuel receipts, manage the physical sign in sheet, and or a number of other functions that were created so he won't reveal the location of the ahem... "lost souls".
    We hit on the clock electronically, fuel electronically, and if we used the XDATA fleet management system (since the USPS invested million$ into it),
    our every minute function could be displayed electronically.
    BUT YOU GUYS PAY HIM $90,000.00/PER (est.) YEAR TO DO WHAT?

Get a Grip on reality......

• Reply to: Postal Service Revenue: What Should be Done?   2 years 5 months ago

Get rid of the UNIONS and hire Vets.

We have benefits already

• Reply to: Is Five-Day Delivery in the Future?   2 years 5 months ago

5-day delivery is so 1980s. If the Postmaster General is ONLY pushing for 5-day delivery, he should be fired. How about 3-day delivery - Mon/Wed/Fri. The physical post offices can be open for business 6 days per week, but physical mail delivery by carrier should be reduced to 3 days per week. What do the carriers do the balance of the week? Work in the physical post office of course. You'll likely save 50% of your fuel costs and a whole lot of personnel costs. Boo Hoo, no more 6-day delivery...get over it.

• Reply to: Brainstorm Ideas to Help the Postal Service   2 years 5 months ago

I think that the USPS needs to realize it is an antiquated system The world has switched ot an electronic system and standard mail will someday go away or will be a premium service. I think in the small picture, closure of smaller post offices is a good first step. I personnally use postal services at a bare minumum. I look in my mailbox daily and yet it is usually just junk mail. All my bills are paid online and I have opted to not recieve paper statements. My paycheck is direct deposited and I have also opted with my employer to send me everything electronic. I think all small communitee post offices should be closed unless it is the only one. In my area I have 3 small communitee ones and one large one. I am sure all could be consolidated into the one larger one. All communities swhould have no more than 1 post office in a 15-25 mile radius. I am sure that would close alot of post offices. And delivery could be illiminated to 3-5 days a week. I of course do not mind this as I dont recieve alot of mail.

Also junk mail should be elliminated. It would cut down on the workload of the carriers which would cut down on costs. My junk mail is never looked at it goes straight to the recycle. Complete waste. At the very least I should be able to opt out which would increase costs. electronic spam is illegal. Paper spam should be too.

My long term sollution is to create a facility that mail could be sent to instead of our homes. People could sign up for a service that provides them a number sort of like a social security number. This could be used i nthe following manner

Dave Jones
    AB6789234567
    San Diego, Ca.

The letters would get routed to a central facility where it is opened securely and scaned and then emailed or stored in your own personnal eMailbox. This could be a service people pay a subscription for and they could give out this "address" out to whoever they wished. It would never need to change and when people move there would be no overhead of makeing those changes. Postal delivery could be cut to 1-2 times per week if at all. I think eventually deliverys could be elliminated. I realize there are alot of baby boomers out there that may resist this, but the younger generation would embrase it as it would make their lives easier. Immagine checking your mailbox on an iPhone app! All your mail right there. No need to put a hold on delivery when on vacation, just check your mail on the beach! going digital in some manner like this is the future. Hopefully USPS is smart enough to embrace it in some form.

I saw that the idea of an eMailbox is being considered.

• Reply to: Postal Service Revenue: What Should be Done?   2 years 5 months ago

1. Please stop the 1-cent, 3-cent-, and 7-cent increases. Take the First Class rate to 45-cents or 50-cents, and keep all future rate increases in increments of 5-cents. All rates should be divisible by 5. Postage rates that involve pennies should be outlawed.

2. Make the First Class rate the least expensive rate. This will either increase your revenue, or it will reduce the operating cost of my Mail Carrier delivering JUNK MAIL to me, and me having to throw it away. Think of it this way, you will also be helping to save the environment.

3. Automate, Automate, Automate! Why do I still need to stand in a line for 15-minutes, in order for a Postal Clerk to put my envelope on a scale, push a few buttons, and say "That will be 64-cents. Do you need anything else today?" Give me the tools that he/she has and I will do it myself. I've been pumping gas on my own for years, I know how to use ATMs, and I can even get my own Boarding Pass at the airport (actually, I print them at home.) Granted, there may be times when I need the assistance of a Postal Clerk, but there are many times I can handle my own transaction if I had the tools-- at the Post Office. Yes, I know I can do a lot of transactions online, assuming I knew the weight of my envelope or package, which I don't.

4. The USPS provides a very valuable service; you simply need to change the price structure to stay competitive.

Thank you!

• Reply to: Brainstorm Ideas to Help the Postal Service   2 years 5 months ago

One invaluable service the USPS can provide is medical records storage. Every person should be able to transmit his medical records to a medical provider. Moreover, if you were in an accident it could be lifesaving to be able to access your medical records by the USPS. The USPS would maintain the servers and they would be available through any browser.

I would like ot see the Post Office to take on the tern if you can beat them join them. I sugget that in order to generate new business the post office should set up computer terminal for those who do not have computers charge a small fee for individual to be able to pay bill on line. Set up a place online where companied can advertise and get business instead of sending mass mail.

you guys are crazy

The only problem with any such solution (which I DID submit as a USPS employee via the eIdeas system 3 years ago) is the unique existence of the United States Postal Service. It is a quasi government entity - not funded by a penny of taxpayer money, but bound by congressional mandates and universal service obligations.

The responses I received to date have been cursory at best, save one point. Public companies already provide these services.
    A government agency could not enter this arena without causing competitive disadvantage and being considered a "Trust". Privacy advocates should also be alarmed if the government's access to such electronic data were to be considered.

I have to agree with Marie. How will you ensure the security of the system? If hackers can get into the Pentagon and other high security areas, how is it that USPS can be hack free?

• Reply to: The OIG Wants to Know How You Feel about Sick Leave   2 years 5 months ago

Hey Nice Article! Thanks for the good information Keep up the good posting.

It seems like the concept of a "virtual" mailbox would be incredibly useful when interacting with government of all levels. Something along the lines of everyone having their own encryption key to verify their identity. Much like email, where you could host it anywhere but it would still be secure.

-Robert

I would have to have a lot more details before even considering this idea. Official documents? Electronically? I have trouble trusting that and I'm sure many Americans will, too. You would really have some convincing to do to get people interested.

Interesting that USPS has proposed various email and fax based services as far back as the 1980s. All were shot down by Congress or the BOG.

• Reply to: Silly Rules   2 years 5 months ago

RULES? WE DONT NEED NO STINKIN RULES!

• Reply to: Brainstorm Ideas to Help the Postal Service   2 years 5 months ago

I agree with Joe- I would even add scanning service- wherein I pay a small fee to have key mail items scanned, and emailed to me with the option of have the orginal shredded/recycled.

Hello,

I came here to submit this same idea. Specifically electronically registered mail.

The Post Office is uniquely qualified to handle such a task. You already manage the physically addresses of hundreds of millions of people and businesses. It is a natural evolution to add/associate an official electronic address to those same people and businesses.

It would not take long before the USPS eCertified Mail system was _the_ system used by all US government agencies as well as the majority of businesses.
    Such a system would finally allow for true tele-commuting as the exchange of official/notarized documents could happen electronically.
    The transformation would happen quickly and it would have an immensely positive effect to the economy in saved transportation costs.

Thank you.
    Tom Enderlin

• Reply to: Are Contract Postal Units and Village Post Offices the Post Office of the Future?   2 years 5 months ago

Thanks to all who took the time to vote and post a comment on this blog.

• Reply to: How is the Postal Service Managing Its Forklift Fleet?   2 years 5 months ago

Total waste of time & money. I work in a P&DC where the damn system was installed; all the arguments about saving money & greater accountability are utterly specious. I'm a full-time operator with a gov't license for over 20 years; I'm also a PIV driver/instructor. The system's speed control works sporadically in our facility; go too fast, the horn blows uncontrollably until you come to a complete stop. The supervisor in charge of the system has used it to aggravate those drivers he doesn't like(by setting the threshhold too low in the name of "safety"); my tug was set to 4 mph while all the others were 5 mph. Our safety regs stipulate 5 mph, but it was 2 weeks before the buck-passing stopped & it was returned to normal.
    Impact sensors are great on paper, but the reality is: the powers-that-be don't follow up on it. The night shift has a long history of damaging the equipment; if it supposedly takes a master badge to clear the PIVMS, there's no way any normal person could mistake a forklift blade bent up at a 45-degree angle after a serious impact. The employee just laughs about it & continues to drive haphazardly; were it up to me, I'd ban him for at least 6 months, but then the EEOs would start.
    When I train the kids, I point out the problems with the system. In our plant, if the checklist isn't finished within 5 minutes, the system shuts down the forklift or tow motor, no matter where it is or what it's doing; then a master badge has to unlock it. Same thing happens if a 'no' response is entered into the checklist; the PIV immediately shuts down. If we need to take it to maintenance, that's another headache; most of our forks & tows SHOULD be taken down for maintenance, but we don't have enough to replace the broken ones, so they're kept running until they break down to the point where they won't move.
    The worst part of this is when the system crashes(as it does about every 2 months or so since we got the damn thing). The drivers' proximity badges won't work; or some do while others are locked out of the system; or a certain forklift won't accept ANY badges & we wind up with a 7500 lb. paperweight. Due to a short-sighted "cost-saving measure", we lost half our tow motors & several forklifts from our plant. As a result, if a PIV goes down, we're screwed, & something's gonna back up. I advise our people to avoid using pallet mules for the larger skids of magazines, as those can easily weigh in excess of 4000 lbs.
    The ONLY reason this system was implemented was to attempt to quantify what the drivers do as a precursor to cutting bid positions...either that, or somebody somewhere got some serious kickbacks, imho. USPS wastes more money on things that don't work(see also "SURFACE VISIBILITY", which is a whole other can of worms). IF THE SUPERVISORS WOULD DO THEIR JOBS, QUIT SCREWING WITH THE GOOD EMPLOYEES & WEED OUT THE USELESS, DEAD WOOD ON THE DAY SHIFT, maybe this system could work...but only if 90% of the upper managers were shown the door. There's a helluva lot of stupid people that high up the totem pole that have made entire careers by playing the EEO card!

• Reply to: Revenue Protection   2 years 5 months ago

Thanks for your comment!

• Reply to: What Do You Think of the Priority Mail Advertising Campaign?   2 years 5 months ago

YOu were actually right. I am in the process of sueing USPS for false advertising, not because of their rules, but because some postal workers do not follow their own rules and make people like you and I pay more. I have fought this and fought it and despite the USPS saying I am right, they still do not correct their workers in the Hope Mills NC post office.