• Reply to: Making “Sorry We Missed You” a Thing of the Past   3 years 9 months ago

stupid idea for the following reasons:
    1. We have terrible hours
    2. Long lines when we are open
    3. windows clerks can't find the parcels half of the time.
    4.How are you going to handle the oversize.
    5. How are the carriers going to handle the "re-delivery"

Yes, if given the opportunity to have a FedEx or USPS parcel delivered to my local post office I would. I would also stop mailing my parcels via USPS. What consumer would not take advantage of the better tracking currently offered by FedEx and UPS if the consumer could pick up a missed parcel a few miles from home instead of 20 or 50 miles? The Postal Service currently offers alternate mailing addresses; they are called post office boxes.

I loathe to go to my post office - and I have worked there! 3 stoplights from my house. Has never had enough staffing, parking lot is so poorly designed, you have to wait through at least 2 light changes to get out. I can't imagine anyone else would want to do this, but wait, there is a charge to "receive" this service??? Wow!

I think it is a stupid idea. We already offer this service in the last mile agreements and get drop shipped parcels from UPS and FEDEX daily. Only the non profitable ones, making USPS absorb the costs of delivery.

With ideas like this one, we might as well just close the doors to the USPS.

It would be nice but how's a carrier to do it when they will have 8 hour street time with FSS. Besides, who's gonna lift those packages over 70 lbs?

This would be insane. The only real possible growth is in parcels. We have advantages in that we deliver to every address daily. To make it economically feasible, we would have to charge UPS etc... far more than they would be willing to pay. The first post is plain silly, yes UPS will let you redirect a parcel to another facility but the closest one they have to my house is 23 miles. You can sign the slip and ask for the parcel to be left at your house or you or a family member can show up at the Post Office.

I think it is a stupid idea. Some top dogs must have thought that one up.

Good idea, but the customer will not want to pay. Charge the delivery company, as the customer has already paid shipping to have it delivered to them. I doubt the other companies would go for it, as it will erode their market share as more people see USPS as "The Package Place".

• Reply to: The Postal Service’s Green Initiatives   3 years 9 months ago

Human is a part of nature, and we are going along with this nature any green initiatives step is better for our nature, from the hand of global warming. I think Postal service has taken a most impressive step.

LP - have your condo association install Parcel lockers where the "small metal Boxes" are located,then your friendly mail man can leave the parcel in the locker and put the key to the locker in your mail box and you will not have to worry about redelivers again

USPS would have to address the problem of not enough window clerks..already most offices have lines out the door

Someone said security at the post office? It's a lot less secure than you would ever imagine. I was there for many, many years.

• Reply to: Stamp Vending Machines   3 years 9 months ago

Do not bring back vending machines.Not worth the cost.The simple solution is to buy a book of 18 forever stamps from the APC,this is not rocket science. The markets and Costco also sell forever stamps. Maybe that will make Jessica happy so she won't have to bother the rude clerks.

This would be a great idea, but only if the locations were open past normal business hours. For example, I was attempting to schedule a redelivery today to a condo (a location by which there is no way for someone to be "home" as it's a small metal box apart from residential units) and the USPS agent was so rude that he not only refused to schedule redelivery service but hung up the phone. I am attempting to resolve this problem, and find a way to pick up the package from the local center (which only operates during hours I'm at work) but there isn't even a way to transfer an item from one postal center to another.

It's insane, and why I never, ever let anyone send me anything via USPS. I've never had a good experience with the service, unfortunately.

If you can help with me obtaining the package without having to take annual leave to pick it up, I'm all ears. As it is, the USPS system is broken for urban dwellers.

I think this would be a great idea. First, it could be used to generate a small amount of revenue-charge a buck or so per piece, which would still be cheaper than the gas used to go to a UPS hub to pick it up. Second, if the customer is going to the PO already, they may do additional business while they are there which mean additional residual revenue. Or if there is a larger volume of packages, you may be able to use that to encourage more PO Box rentals-alowing customers to accept the packages at a reduced rate if they rent a PO Box at a specific office. A win-win if you ask me.

• Reply to: Periodicals   3 years 9 months ago

Periodicals and magazines are important for information. We should figure out a way to increase the price on sale flyers and general junk mail. The majority of my mail is "junk" and goes straight into the trash. Car dealers should be charged double for advertising in though the mail. Also the weekly "coupon" mailing I get is useless.

• Reply to: Does the Postal Service Need to Re-examine Its Delivery Service Standards?   3 years 9 months ago

How about changing residential delivery to 3 days a week? You could cut your delivery fees in half. Have two routes; M-W-F and T-TH-SAT. Each residential address will have a delivery based on routing. Business and Priority mail will have different routes with daily service. This is the age of electronic mail. Most people do not even check their mail box everyday. This is an ideal that needs to be voted on, there will be opposition, but I think it is a sensible ideal.

• Reply to: Automation and the Life of the Letter Carrier   3 years 9 months ago

Let's follow the logic. Less office time = more street time. More street time = more fuel expense. More street time = more chances to be rear ended, run over, etc.
    Is anyone looking at the big picture?
    Automation up stream may be useful but how does it affect the last cog in the system? The last cog is the human being who actually places the mail at the customer's location. The last cog IS the SERVICE in the postal system.

That cog is now going to be required to have to pull product from more locations within their vehicle to perform their duties. This means longer waits at each stop on the route. This is fraught with danger for the safety of the last cog.
    It appears that the design of the system in no way considers the impact upon the last cogs. I can't even grasp how a walking route is supposed to "benefit" from this.

• Reply to: The Great Debate   3 years 9 months ago

I guess we should focus on the human resources work plan to work this out

• Reply to: How Can the Postal Service Reduce the Costs Associated with Postage Stamps?   3 years 9 months ago

Are there better alternatives to stamps? Business customers often rent postage meters and use permits for bulk mail. Now, the advent of online postage vendors has given individual customers an alternative to stamps. Customers that use online postage can customize their postage and incorporate approved language or pictures.

Very simple DPS never been perfect why buying FSS... what a waste of money

• Reply to: Betting on the Postal Service?   3 years 9 months ago

oh wonderful blog.

• Reply to: Stamp Vending Machines   3 years 9 months ago

this is great Vending machines that really needs of customers who want to purchase stamps without waiting in line.

• Reply to: How is the Postal Service Managing Its Forklift Fleet?   3 years 9 months ago

Fascinating! Thank you.

Brad Hollister

• Reply to: Betting on the Postal Service?   3 years 9 months ago

Dear Anna,
    I'm sorry for you're awful experience. However, blaming the poor incompentent postal clerk is simply
    not right. Every postal employee is required to pass a competency examination to qualify for each respective position in the organization. So, by virtue of this information, it is unfair to assert
    that the employee's mistake was a result of their
    apptitude and skill level.
    However, you might look into the shenanigans, ahem... er.. I mean work.. of The Department of State as to why it was necessary for you to abruptly decide to obtain a passport on July 13 2010. I would suggest you subscribe to the US Department of State News feed as I do.
    Or you can obtain similar information from the "Federal Register" like the rest of us informed citizens. Regular folks like us have to keep an eye
    on some of the administration's cabinet folk. Just so things stay on the, you know... up & up.
    By the way, I'd probably listen to the weather forecasts once in a while too. You can find them at NOAA.GOV, or simply tune into any commercial radio channel.

Instead of complaining to the poor incompentent post
    office, try directing you're complaints to the Congressional member representing you're home district.

Have a Nice Day