• Reply to: The Postal Service and the Vox Populi   2 months 1 day ago

Are you a public relations contractor working for the USPS? I have had to file more than a dozen complaints with the USPS in the past year for non-delivery and delayed delivery of mail. I have had to wait for more than 3 weeks for the USPS to delivery a package that had been "out for delivery" (as stated by the USPS Tracking). Today I had to submit a complaint to the Inspector General of the USPS because another one of my packages has been "out for delivery" since January 18, 2014. It still hasn't been delivered. I have kept records and documentation of all the times I have filed cases with the USPS for sub-standard service.
    I have gone to two three different post offices and have been told three different stories about First Class International mail. I even has a representative call and out right LIE to me about the reason I was told a package could not be sent by International First Class. When I told her the facts of my experience (which I had not included in my initial complaint to the USPS), she could not talk around the sloppy service and empty excuse that she had given me. Employees of the USPS do as employees of most companies do. They will lie to cover the incompetent and sometimes out-right, mean spirited, inferior service that some of the employees of the USPS render.
    I was in my local post office about 2 weeks ago and whitnessed another woman who had not received a package sent to her. A package was delivered to my address. I then e-mailed the USPS of the mis-delivered package. I never received a reply from anyone with the USPS. After about 2 weeks of waiting, I mailed a letter to the person whom the package was addressed to, explaining the fact that it had been delivered to my address. That was apparently the only way this woman would have gotten her package. Mr. Andrews, have you ever read the disclaimer that the Inspector General of the USPS send to people who files a complaint for missing mail?

• Reply to: The Postal Service and the Vox Populi   2 months 1 day ago

I haven't received a delivery for over five days since my postman has chosen to not leave his postal supplied truck. He is unable to walk the few steps to reach my mailbox. Yet I am required to drive a mile, walk over a snow covered drive to secure may mail. Why is he being paid? Why does he have This job. I am certain someone else would be happy to work for the postal service which offers security, health benefits and a pension plan. How can we rid ourselves from these bad actors. I have complained before. Your web site is a joke. Your 800 number is no better
    Sorry to say your current standards are lacking.

• Reply to: Network Consolidation on Hold   2 months 2 days ago

It appears that the PMG in his latest video gives some reasons why the door was shut on consolidations.....There were some "unforseen" snowballs which rolled downhill.
    You close a local plant, send the mail to a farther away plant and don't forsee that the mail will get to the actual delivering post offices later? PPPPPP...I hope you know what that stands for. The PMG must have gotten his ears burned because carriers have been out late into the night trying to deliver mail. This is dangerous and there were fatalities. Monkeying around with one part of the delivery chain whithout a thought of repercussions to those actions further down the chain is downright embarrasing, frustrating and totally unneccessary for the folks down the chain. It appears that a "team" effort was not given. An after action report by OIG which starts at the bottom and works up the chain could be very enlightening.

• Reply to: Does a Virtual PO Box service appeal to you?   2 months 2 days ago

I came up with this idea recently and I'm glad to see you're already considering it. This seems like a win-win for the USPS and its customers. Customers could get most of the benefits of a physical PO box at a lower cost to the USPS, and therefore at a lower price, but it could still be a major revenue driver for the USPS. As another comment suggested, you could also derive revenue from a service that would translate virtual addresses to physical ones on a "need to know" basis. This kind of innovation is exactly what the USPS needs to get back to being one of the few government agencies that pays its own bills.

• Reply to: Can the Postal Service Deliver the Goods?   2 months 2 days ago

The claims department with USPS is incompetent and appear to be overworked already. If they can't handle the business they do have without such a higher number of claims, how can they take on more.

For my whole saga see:

The letter I am sending today after yet another form letter showing a complete lack of review and understanding of my actual claim:

• Reply to: The Postal Service and the Vox Populi   2 months 2 days ago

Ken,
    Thanks for catching our broken link. We've fixed the link and you should be able to get to the white paper now.

• Reply to: The Postal Service and the Vox Populi   2 months 3 days ago

Why am I unable to read the Full Report? Each time I click on the provided link, I am denied access with "The requested page "/sites/default/files/document-library-files/2014/rarc-wp-14-009.pdf" could not be found."

• Reply to: The Postal Service and the Vox Populi   2 months 3 days ago

Futhermore, I strongly feel its an privileage for the public, and I also feel strongly against comments, such-as the postal service have more days close went it comes to honoring the lenght of the existing of the service, NATIONALLYNATIONSWIDE. Which as to say many of these américa sincerely can not read. Facts: My very first experiment with the UNITED STATES POSTAL SERVICE, FACTS: SUNDAY: LOCATION: LEELAND, IT WAS THE ONLY BUSINESS AND BUILDING THAT WERE THERE.
    Sincerely, Customer. Thanks!

LOCATION: LEELAND OFFICE, TEXAS: WITH LATER IT WAS STATED

• Reply to: The Postal Service and the Vox Populi   2 months 3 days ago

Your updated study on what America wants from the Postal Service is generally well done but there seems to be a certain slant to the discussion.
    You indicate that folks generally don't understand that the Postal Service is self-funding. The one question that isn't asked is whether that's appropriate. Up until 1984 it was generally accepted that the Postal Service should receive some form of appropriations to pay for both universal service and reduced rates for certain categories of mail. The discussion these days seems to discount the usefulness of appropriations. That fits with a general tendency towards diminished understanding of the value of public goods, public services and public infrastructure.
    A great portion of our discussions of economics these days depends on misconceptions and misunderstandings about the nature of Federal debts and deficits. Much of our debate about Federal spending has been framed by folks like Pete Peterson and the folks who were supportive of the Simpson-Bowles prescriptions. Unfortunately much of what supports those arguments relies on bad economics.
    The questions you've asked in your most recent piece seem designed to elicit a fairly narrow range of responses. It seems you've missed an opportunity to explore the subject in greater depth. How do we value public goods? How should we value public goods? Does postal infrastructure serve more than a purely economic purpose? Even if post6al infrastructure serves only an economic purpose, must the infrastructure itself be self-supporting or does the overall added value justify support from outside the system?
    The design of the study betrays your prejudice and predetermined conclusions.

• Reply to: The Postal Service and the Vox Populi   2 months 4 days ago

No mail service today February 18 in zip code 30066???????????? I would have been fired if I let this happen when I worked there????

• Reply to: Great Expectations of Online Shopping   2 months 4 days ago

I do not understand why everyone is complaining about the USPS service. At least "They", even though minimal at best, Get "some" service! USPS has, for unexplained reasons, designated my, (legal/deliverable) address as, NON-DELIVERABLE! Apparently because I live on the Wrong Side of the Street? That's Just Plain; Lazy/Inexcusable/Unacceptable/Embarrassing! etc... Nine Years, I've been putting up with This, lack of Service! USPS Refuses to assist me with this issue, or Resolve It, or Give Me an Acceptable/Understandable/Legal,,, "Service"! Plain and Simple!
    Daniel Halley

• Reply to: The Postal Service and the Vox Populi   2 months 4 days ago

Thank you for asking.
    My expectations from The Postal Service is simple. My situation is rather complicated. This I do not understand. I have always had an amicable relationship with USPS, especially delivery employees. A very nice group of people, wherever I reside. I have been living at my current address for almost nine years, and have Yet to have, even a piece of mail from PCH Sweepstakes! (lol) . For unknown reasons my Apt. complex has been singled out for Non Delivery, and has been designated an Un-Deliverable Address! This Apartment Complex meets ALL codes and Requirements outlined by USPS
    bylaws! I have read them, and understand them. What I fail to understand is; Why, after nine years, USPS Refuses to, and will not Deliver My mail to ME, at my legal deliverable address! From what I understand, my landlord has been attempting to get us Mail Boxes, and I have been patiently waiting. But, Enough is Enough! The postal employees at My local branch, do not understand the problem, either! I Must maintain a beneficial means for being in contact with The Veterans Administration, as I am a Disabled American, Vietnam Era Veteran! The Veterans Administration will only contact me thru USPS, ONLY!
    This has caused me considerable waste of; Time, Valuable Retrievable Current Information/Instructions, etc. Do you get My Drift? I, only wish to have USPS Services, as I have Always had and, how all my close neighbors seem to be Enjoying TODAY, as I write this! I have been given a PO Box, (free) but, I do not drive, (my Disability) so I have spent Too Much $$$$ retrieving My mail from my,(not so local) local Post Office! This situation Exacerbates my disability, complicating my current condition!
    I am a Proud American Citizen, and ask Only for what my American neighbors receive with no apparent Problem!
    My question is, WHY ME?
    SINCERELY,
    Daniel Halley

• Reply to: The Postal Service and the Vox Populi   2 months 4 days ago

I know the postal service is a stand along agency. The need to support themselves explains all the junk mail. I believe that there is so much hi-jacking of accounts on the internet, that the postal service is at least another option. I think the crooks that operate on the internet may even be smarter than the ones that tried to hi-jack the mails. I would like to see more agreements between the postal service and outfits like target, Kohls, etc. with 7 day service. This would be one up on the other ground service for delivering merchandise. I also like the postal people that serve my route. I am mobility challenged. I have a mail slot in my door. The postman always knocks when he delivers the mail. I really appreciated this rather than having to scoop it up off the floor. The postal people still have more of a chance to provide personalized service; especially to seniors who are getting to be a non-negligible group. I certainly do not wish the internet and UPS to be my only options..

• Reply to: The Postal Service and the Vox Populi   2 months 4 days ago

Over the decades I have lived all over these united states. In EVERY ONE I've had a positive experience with Postal Service Employees. In Taos NM, NY NY, Boston MA, Plainfield VT, Chicago IL, Syracuse NY and, New Haven CT In each and every one I have found Postal Employees to be helpful and pleasant. Each one was informed, accurate and intelligent. Any needs I had were accommodated and or my concerns were allayed. When I need the service of the Postal Service, nothing else will do. Fortunately for me, the Postal Service is there.
    Thank you for the opportunity to make this comment and for the continued service of the USPS.
    Mark Andrews

• Reply to: Selling the Mail – Whose Job Is it?   2 months 5 days ago

(Enough of this emphasis on selling. A good idea if followed, sells itself. Let's hope the people who know about the post office's internal machinery come up with some.) I am speaking as an outsider who is sure of one great idea the post office has come up with. You add urgently needed extra income for the mail service by adding an urgently needed extra service, that was once a proven success. The postal mail service became a postal savings service as well. It was a place for small savings and for cashing or writing small checks or money orders, a few simple non-bank tasks and it did them well. It should keep out of the way of private banking on the one hand, and on the other hand, make sure that a strict control operates to insure private bank profitability that is also forwarding the public interest, the postal service's commitment, in any lawful jurisdiction where the depositors/borrowers may be the same. That is absolutely doable. The modern problem is that political interests have lost sight of what is inherently in the restricted public domain and what is inherently in the broader private domain. That should be spelled out in advance so that Americans can look forward to many years of safe financial service from both public and private sources.

• Reply to: Network Consolidation on Hold   2 months 5 days ago

Work share discounts are definitely the biggest reason for the decline in the efficiency of the network. They have created the imbalance in workload over the 24 hour day. Most of the work that the plants performed in the daytime and evening has been work shared away. While practically none of the work plants performed after midnight has.
    This had decreased utilization rates because most of the equipment is needed from midnight to 6 am to meet deadlines but is no longer needed at other hours of the day. I doubt the increased cost per letter of this utilization rate decline was ever used when deciding what is a good work share discount.

• Reply to: Your Experience with the Customer Experience   2 months 5 days ago

RUDE customer service for DEWITT POSTAL SERVICE in DEWITT, MICHIGAN----I lost 8 mail boxes due to storms--DEC. 2013 /JAN. 2014-----MY MAIL WAS not delivered--I can go with that--for pic-up on my part. BUT, to be talk down to and insulted by whom ever answered the phone when I called---and treated like a second hand citizen by this POSTAL OFFICE--TERRIBLE. They would not help me---not give me any info--I called the ROAD COMMISSION--they came out fix the mail-box--gave me a new one---number 8 (didn't have to pay 4 this one or labor--$210.) That was for labor only---The month before this one! The ROAD COMMISSION told me to ask the POST OFFICE that brings my mail---"where can I relocate my mailbox so this does not keep happening. GOT KNOW ANSWERS/ NO NICE--GOT HANG-UP ON!

• Reply to: Selling the Mail – Whose Job Is it?   2 months 5 days ago

From the rural carriers mailcount guide 2013: ""Carriers are not required to go to the customer's door to collect mail for any reason other than a carrier pickup request...." Does this sound like we want to cultivate new business? As you know, the mailcount is the method for determining rural carrier salaries. Contrary to this quoted mandate most carriers want to serve their customers and do this service even though they are not rightly paid to do this.

On a side note.....One would have to assume that the "sales force" would want to cultivate the carrier force. One would assume that the salesfolks would make it a point to meet with carriers, explain what they do, explain what kind of leads they like and give help to carriers to help increase business.... One would also assume that leads would at least be followed up. The bare minimum would be contacting the lead and giving feedback to the carrier lead generator as to the status of the lead. None of this happens. As a long time outside salesman I do know that I have had egg on my face in front of customers who have never been contacted.....Perhaps a look-see into how the salesforce operates at the district level could be an eyeopener for you. Check the salesforce and then ask the lead generates their opinions.

• Reply to: Network Consolidation on Hold   2 months 6 days ago

Reduce standards & increase rates??? Sound way to operate a business, huh??? Face it, the P.O. is not a business, never was & never will be. What kind of business operates with no profit incentive??? The P.O.'s mission statement is to BREAK EVEN. I.E. maintain the status quo and be self sufficient. But pressures from private enterprise to privatize which are motivated by GREED to adopt a BUSINESS MODEL which mirrors that of UPS.... (a part time work force offering no benefits or which maintains a decent standard of living, is anti-union, anti-labor & ANTI AMERICAN) The P.O. is not supported by tax payers DONATIONS. So why does congress feel it needs to regulate it and set up a doomsday scenario??? How could any 'BUSINESS' survive having to PRE- FUND its' retirees ad infinitum??? POLITICS, POLITICS, POLITICS

• Reply to: Network Consolidation on Hold   2 months 6 days ago

The Productivity increase may be true for the gaining site but not the losing site. This entire consolidation project was launched with very loose oversight. The only true savings is getting people off the rolls and buildings shut down. Your automation equipment is woefully underutilized but acquisitions continue for materal handling and sort equipment. Flats sorters were bought, deployed, underutilized and continue to operate well below projected ROIs. Letter sorting equipment operates at less then 50 percent efficiency. You need independent audits with accountability. USPS management comments to your findings are absurd with no action.

• Reply to: Intelligence Delayed, but Not Derailed   2 months 1 week ago

It is clearly safe to say NO INSTITUTION WILL PUT A STOP TO THIS EXTREME ABUSE FROM POSTAL WORKERS/COURIERS!! ! ! ! ! ! SINCE NO ONE WISHES TO PUT A STOP TO THIS MATTER THIS SHALL BE TAKEN TO A HIGHER STANDARD OF PEOPLE THAT WILL END THIS ABUSE. EVERY BLOODY PACKAGE I EXPECT TO HAVE DELIVERED NEVER GETS DELIVERED. 290 SPRINGFIELD AVE NEWARK NJ POST OFFICE IS A DISASTER. HOW MANY FREAKING COMPLAINTS MUST GO IN, I HAVE BEEN EXTREMELY COOPERATIVE WITH ALL THESE EMPLOYEES. IT IS TIME FOR BETTER ACTIONS TO BE TAKEN. ! ! ! ! ! !

EVERY FREAKING EMPLOYEE AT THAT LOCATION. SEVERAL COMPLAINTS HAVE BEEN SUBMITTED AND NO ACTIONS TAKEN. THE CAMEL'S BACK HAS BEEN BROKEN AND NOW TIME FOR ALL CAMELS TO RISE.

SURVEILLANCE SURROUNDS PROPERTY AND CLEARLY SHOWS NO ATTEMPTS BY ANY EMPLOYEE COURIER

• Reply to: No More Day of Rest for Postal Package Delivery   2 months 1 week ago

• Reply to: Network Consolidation on Hold   2 months 1 week ago

It is because of the existing overnight service requirement for certain mail ZIP Codes. As a result, some mail continues to be processed at the losing facility. By not moving all of the mail processing to the gaining facilites as stated in the AMPs; savings, mainly in transportation, is not fully realized. In addition, it is adding significant cost to customer service including carrier return by 5:00.

• Reply to: Can the Postal Service Deliver the Goods?   2 months 1 week ago

Our concern is the late evening delivery of our mail. We had noticed the mail carrier out delivering mail around 9:00 pm a few nights. Another concern is the online tracking. According to the online tracking, my parcel was out for delivery at 8:00 am on Thursday morning. The attempt to deliver was made Friday night at 8:00 pm. This is 36 hours after telling me that my parcel is out for delivery. This is very frustrating when the USPS cannot be relied upon anymore.

• Reply to: If you have been to a Post Office with a kiosk, but opted to wait for a clerk instead, what was the basis for your decision?   2 months 1 week ago

The clerk at the Worthington Ohio post office refused to sell me a $5.60 stamp for an express envelope I was planning to mail when I got home because I could not remember the zip code to which I would be mailing the envelope. She assured me that I could use the kiosk at any local post office. I attempted to use the kiosk after hours at one of the west Columbus Ohio stations. It charge my debit card but did not print the stamp. "No refund" was printed on my receipt. I'm dreading having to fight with the counter clerk tomorrow to get the stamp I paid for. Because of this experience, I will NEVER use the kiosk again. They are obviously not as reliable as ATMs. PS, when deciding what post offices to close, please give special attention to the ones that refuse to sell stamps. Thank you.