• Reply to: Self-Service Mail Technologies   5 years 2 months ago

The APC in my post office lobby doesn't dispense variable rate postage "in any denomination" -- only in denominations of $1.00 or more (besides offering a sheet of 42-cent stamps). In this way it is not a satisfactory substitute for the vending machines it replaced, but with a little re-programming it could be.

• Reply to: The Postal Service’s Financial Crisis   5 years 2 months ago

Although I think the two options above are viable, I also believe that improvements in other areas can have a positive impact on the Postal Service's bottom line. With that in mind, I think the Postal Service should take more advantage of what the OIG offers as far as identifying inefficiency, waste and fraud. Instead of viewing the OIG as an adversary, the Postal Service should view the OIG as a partner.

Every six months, the OIG publishes its Semi-Annual Report to Congress, which provides dollars associated with the audits and investigations that were completed during the previous six month period. OIG audits and investigations cover strategic, financial and operational risks. A small portion of the financial impact of OIG work during the April 1 - September 30, 2008, period reveals OIG auditors identified over $163 million in findings of questioned cost, i.e., cost that are unnecessary, unreasonable, unsupported, or an alleged violation of law, regulation, or contract. In addition, OIG investigators identified more than $109 million in cost avoidance...with the majority of this amount related to injury compensation fraud.

The OIG's work should be used by Postal Service management as a tool to assist with making improvements. Unfortunately, many...not all...Postal Service management employees view the OIG as an enemy and not a partner. I don't know what you guys think...but if my company was failing and someone identified over $271 million...I would appreciate their efforts and seriously consider suggested solutions to stop the bleeding.

• Reply to: 24-Hour Parcel Service?   5 years 2 months ago

I would just be happy if there were more APCs in more convenient locations.

What I don't think people at USPS get is that the very existence of UPS and FedEx is due to USPS's institutional failure. If you don't realize the writing on the wall, you will be driven into the ground. As older generations either die off or, those willing, adopt electronic alternatives to sending things through the mail; USPS will become ever more irrelevant.

Off the top of my head, the only thing that I can think of that I absolutely have to get in the mail is other government notifications, i.e., tax bills, registration, etc. (which is also due to the abject failure of the degenerate geezers running this country that have absolutely no clue how the world has changed). If USPS does not pick up the strides that they have made over the last couple years, to adopt new technologies, it will be relegated to stuffing mailboxes with junk-mail; which is all I get.

• Reply to: The Postal Service’s Financial Crisis   5 years 2 months ago

I think the polling question about the retiree health care costs is very confusing.

USPS should NOT have to pay at such an accelerated rate for future retiree health care costs....

• Reply to: 24-Hour Parcel Service?   5 years 2 months ago

I wish it were that easy...I've spoken with my carrier, his supervisor, the P.O. manager, & filed numerous complaints...nothing is ever done. I've started using UPS as they will deliver & not damage my items. It's a shame really-the USPS used to be a well run organization.

• Reply to: Mail Volume: What Goes Up…?   5 years 2 months ago

.. wow! .. now, this is a very interesting/difficult topic worth reading all of the comments on. .. which i did! .. have a great day!

• Reply to: Top 10 Postal Stories of 2008   5 years 2 months ago

.. sorry to see DHL leave. i feel a piece of history is lost. DHL is the oldest worldwide carrier. i once worked for a local courier service. DHL contracted us to build their business in our city. we accomplished that task and, DHL went on to open their own office here in our city. that was pretty much the way they built their base here in the U.S. in the last 25-30 years or so. i believe the poor economy has just destroyed their presense here in the states. i can't help but see that as a bad/sad thing. DHL is a very good courier. their history is amazing to learn about. perhaps some of you would like to read up on them. .. ok. that should be easy to accomplish! .. have a great day!

• Reply to: Self-Service Mail Technologies   5 years 2 months ago

the APC is a great complement to the USPS services. it is not intended to replace the window service. i think we will see more and more of them strategically placed throughout America going forward. I luuuuuuuuv using the one near my home when i get in the EBAY mode. it's sooooooooooo convenient. have a great day!

• Reply to: Crime Takes No Holiday   5 years 2 months ago

the economy sucks right now. sorry. that is the truth. crime will go up as a result. i am just happy to see the democrats back in office! have a great day!

• Reply to: 24-Hour Parcel Service?   5 years 2 months ago

Also, if you suspect your carrier is delaying your mail, that is a crime. You can contact uspsoig at www.uspsoig.gov and file a complaint.

• Reply to: 24-Hour Parcel Service?   5 years 2 months ago

Let the Postmaster know that the carrier is not ringing your bell, or you may want to speak with the carrier directly the next time you see him/her. Problem solved.

• Reply to: Crime Takes No Holiday   5 years 2 months ago

Netflix uses the Postal Service exclusively. I am not sure what the USPS can learn from Netflix.

• Reply to: Mail Volume: What Goes Up…?   5 years 2 months ago

You know what will happen! The Post Office will go to five days and endup needing help causing them to hire more people anyway or paying for overtime

• Reply to: Voting by Mail   5 years 2 months ago

That seems a bit high but not totally implausible. I wonder if the official statistics are publically available. Regardless, I think Vote by Mail volume will increase with time. And one needs not to forget the multplier effect of that ballot casted by mail. There is the registration form, the sending out of the ballot, the return ballot, perhaps a confirmation return piece, etc... In other words, one vote by mail generates more than one mailpiece.

And there's more. There is the Election Mail -- using mail for advertising the election of candidates. That could increase as Vote by Mail increases.

I think it's a great thing.

• Reply to: Voting by Mail   5 years 2 months ago

I saw in Business Mailers Review that the president of Votes Count said more than one third of ballots were cast by mail in the 2008 election -- not sure how accurate that is.

• Reply to: What are we doing with your blog feedback?   5 years 2 months ago

why not publish a suggestion of how to save money blog? someone already stepped up on the saving money with finding pallets that a business was using for other purposes, why not a where can we find waste and investigate it and fix it?

and if you saved over a billion dollars auditing 11 processing plants, whats keeping you from doing all of them? if the average savings is 100 million as stated, wouldnt it be obvious that all of them need a looking at?

• Reply to: Mail Volume: What Goes Up…?   5 years 2 months ago

3 days later and they go out of business.

Circuit City would like to thank all of the customers who have shopped with us over the past 60 years. Unfortunately, we announced on January 16, 2009, that we are going out of business.

Guess the USPS will have to court Best Buy.

• Reply to: What are we doing with your blog feedback?   5 years 2 months ago

the OIG does a brilliant job at investigating and issuing reports on USPS affairs. It is obvious that a LOT of time and money is spent in preparing these reports. In some cases, there are even "follow up" reports done on the progress of previous reports suggestions. My question is simple. Does the OIG have the authority to adversely affect mgmt when these reports are blatantly ignored, or does the OIG's authority stop at merely "suggesting" changes? What is needed IMMEDIATELY is an investigation on the blatant violations being committed by mgmt in order to reduce man hours. More specifically, the issuing of discipline. The sheer volume of usps employees that have been removed in the past year should warrant some type of investigation. Never in the history of the usps have there been such a staggering number of employees "fired" from their positions. Just for the sake of arguement, i'll grant you that 50% of these were long overdue, done for "just cause", and that "due process" was adhered to..... that leaves 50%. I will tell you from personal knowledge, that in these cases, EVERY law, EVERY rule, and Every contract provision that apply to these matters is blatantly being violated in order to issue the discipline/removal. With no apparent oversight of such matters, mgmt is out of control. Our only recourse(s), grievances, nlrb, eeoc, only correct the individual error, and do not adversely affect mgmt in any way, shape or form... and so they continue.. and the violations are becoming more blatant.
    The employees, and ex-employees, of the usps desperately request that the OIG investigate these matters immediately. Any delay will add thousands to the already staggering number of people whose basic rights as provided by the constitution of these great United States as well as all other applicable laws, rules, and procedures , are Blatantly being violated on a daily basis.... and yet ... mgmts numbers remain the same. I have yet to see even one member of mgmt affected by this all out war against the laborers of the Postal Service.
    We are only asking that we be treated fairly, with respect, and in adherance to the policies put in place to keep this type of thing from happening. And that when it is obvious that these rules were ignored, that there be some form of adverse action taken against such people to ensure that it doesn't continue..

• Reply to: Mail Volume: What Goes Up…?   5 years 2 months ago

What Circuit City??????

• Reply to: Mail Volume: What Goes Up…?   5 years 2 months ago

Look, obviously most if not almost all of this loss has been pecipitated by the economic crisis. The real question is even though the economic crisis is reaonsonable for the drop in volume, how much of it will not come back. Clearly some will not come back. The most important question is how much will not come back, and I don't think anyone knows. It could be only two or three percent won't come back--mail is a VERY powerful channel after all--or it could be more like 10 to 15. No one knows.

• Reply to: 24-Hour Parcel Service?   5 years 2 months ago

I have the SAME PROBLEM!!! My carrier refuses to deliver my packages-I've even offered to walk out to get them from him if he just lets me know he's here! When I complain-I usually don't get ANY mail for days! I just want him to DO HIS JOB!!!!!!

• Reply to: 24-Hour Parcel Service?   5 years 2 months ago

My husband is a realtor who often works from home. We find it exceedingly annoying when the carrier does not bother to ring the doorbell, but simply leaves a notice. And my husband is usually home! A Packstation might be a great alternative. That way we could at least get our package the same day. But I wonder how it works if you have to sign for an insured parcel...

• Reply to: What are we doing with your blog feedback?   5 years 3 months ago

When I stumbled across this blog, it took me several minutes to figure out that this was run by the post office, and not just a random personal blog. You might want to make it more obvious on the homepage what this blog is and who it's run by.

• Reply to: 24-Hour Parcel Service?   5 years 3 months ago

"This convenience is particularly helpful for people who have no way to get to a post office when it is open." You right i definitely agree,thank you this entry. Keep up the good work.

by: missy

• Reply to: What are we doing with your blog feedback?   5 years 3 months ago

I am just thinking to ask the similar question too. :)