• Reply to: Will Harry Cast a Spell on Young Stamp Collectors?   4 months 1 week ago

The fact that J.K. Rowland got the young to read books that approached the size of War & Peace is truly a great achievement. However, the books really have nothing to do with this country. As far as getting international sales of stamps by Harry Potter fans, I have no idea.

Younger audiences are not interested in stamps and nothing, not even the foreigner Harry Potter, will get them to buy U.S. stamps and save them. Why should they mail a letter tomorrow when they can send an email now? So, marketing images that focus on them will not generate sales. Increasing the sale of stamps will not solve the financial problems of the USPS. Congress needs to step in and fund the USPS, like prior to 1971. The USPS provides a public service for everyone!
    The USPS should stay focused on American heritage.
    Stay with works of art and pieces of history, not fads and celebrities.
    I would like to see more Italian Americans who have contributed to this country on stamp images.

The more stamps are like this, the more I will buy. Love it... Keep coming out with new themes that go along with what's hot!

I think the Harry Potter Stamp will be a success, but not because the young collector is collecting them. And it will have no influence whether the Postal Service survives another day, or year! It will be a success because it's Harry Potter! There are far fewer youth aged stamp collectors than there were 10 - 20 years ago. Young America just doesn't write letters, nor do they send special occasion cards. They text and tweet and post everything they want seen on Facebook. I personally am not a stamp collector, but still purchase postage stamps and use the delivery of mail provided by the Postal Service. I would purchase the Harry Potter stamp. Not to keep, but to use. I think the commemorative stamps can be a colorful addition to a piece of sent mail. My grandchildren think their "GrandPa is cool" when a letter or card arrives addressed to them with a Disney character, a Looney Toons character or good looking car stamp adorns the corner of the envelope. The Postal Service is dying a self imposed slow death. When I'm gone they will have lost a whole generation of stamp users because no one after me purchases stamps. The Postal Service is far too heavy at the top of their administration and has looked, but not foreseen the changes that technology has thrust upon society. The Harry Potter stamp should have been released when Harry Potter was at it's peak and the public was in the Harry Potter mood. All those high-paid heads at the top and not one saw the advantage of using the popularity when it was a daily use word. The idea must have come to some marketer via 'snail mail'!

• Reply to: Are Contract Postal Units and Village Post Offices the Post Office of the Future?   4 months 1 week ago

Yes its less pain and struggle when postal offices is on malls. The ambiance is different for sure, good even you bring kids around.

Let the British issue stamps of "British subjects." It was really a disappointment to see the US stamps advisory committee bypassed for the Harry Potter stamps. It's a bad idea to get further and further into such fantasies. I will not purchase Potter stamps for my collections. With many deserving inspirational Americans to honor, that a foreign fictitious character was chosen instead, is a disservice to our citizenry. Please keep future issues to the American topics, people, scenes, etc.

I am grateful to Inspector General David Williams for soliciting public comment on the appropriateness of USPS stamp subject matter. While I am not a "stamp fan," I have used the Post Office for more than sixty years and have formed some opinions.

IF the US Postal Service is really assigned to subsist on its fee income [stamps, Registry, PO box leases etc.] then it ought to do all possible to make its product (1) desirable, (2) affordable and (3) as pleasant as possible for the consumer, from the stamp images to the personnel which they employ for delivery or brick-and-mortar outlets. The popularity of TOYOTA in USA is a little more than half based on the attitude of sales/service people. Otherwise, drop the fiction that USPS is independently funded and drop the ".com" for a ".gov" as its web site.

I recently had the opportunity to go through some drawers when an ancient relative died. I found many unused stamps. Let's take a look.

1¢ Thomas Jefferson. Now, which heart wouldn't skip a beat over using that one?

2¢ John Adams, Frank Lloyd Wright. Both interesting and cuddly guys, yeah?

3¢ Liberty Statue, Thomas Jefferson and the unknown "Francis Parkman American Historian" are represented, but do they represent anything of interest?

5¢ Poland's Millennium 966 -- 1966. Why go down THAT road? Where's the stamp commemorating the Albanian liberation from Turkish dominance? Also, one of the many nauseating "Virgin and Child" portraits that blur the Church/State line. [See also the 6¢ "Christmas Manger" scene and the undenominated 1975 stamp from the National Gallery.] Let us not forget the 5¢ self-tribute to United States City Mail Delivery [1863 -- 1963]

6¢ Douglas MacArthur, a verifiable figure in USA history, but whether for good or for bad remains in doubt. Better to make a statement with a Leopold and Loeb stamp. Surely even they had some "closet fans."

8¢ examples including Eisenhower, EINSTEIN [now, there's a 3rd rail as he was not only a Jew but helped create atomic bombs] and another self-tribute to U.S. POSTAL SERVICE [no specifics].

The one exception in the deceased's drawer of tricks was the 4¢ PROJECT MERCURY [U.S. Man in Space]. There were more than two dozen of those, marked "Save" on the blank tabs of the sheets by a woman who was so under educated/old that I doubt whether she knew what a "scientist" was or what the goal of MERCURY was. It was merely a pretty blue/gold and patriotic. Also, 8¢ Condor and Polar Bear images calling attention to Wildlife Restoration was apparently a "hit."

While I'm as patriotic as the next fellow, my most recent coil of stamps with its "four seasons American flags" has been done to death. I brought home a special strip of "flower seed packet" stamps only because I knew that the colorful images would perk up a dull winter's day for the recipient and would amuse my wife. Harry Potter? I wasn't a BIG fan of the movies and never spent time reading the books, but I am certainly NOT offended. If the USPS is to "stay relevant," then it MUST get out of a historical groove, and it hurts me to say that because I know how many "younger" people do not know what Pearl Harbor Day is or care to keep its memory sacred.

In short, base the stamp images on fads and celebrities. Incorporate history, if possible, but if I never see a "Madonna and Child" stamp again it will be too soon. The Mars "Rover" would be fit. I can visualize a series on National Monuments/Parks [Yellowstone, Rushmore, White Sands] to keep folk interested in domestic travel and not merely focus on commercial travel to mass merchandised destinations which are "all inclusive" from air fare to alcohol. Avoid "fads" with as much taste as possible. "Justin Bilious" OUT. "Miley [Do Like Seeing My Panties?] Cyrus" OUT. Iconic American figures, more modern, like Bob Hope or the frightfully talented Meryl Streep is an IN. POTUS: don't go there on a bribe. Let the motto be: yesterday is history, today is brief and tomorrow is only a dream.

Let's reawaken the American Dream[s]!

C. Michael Becker

"To write poetry after Auschwitz is barbaric."
    Theodor Adorno, German philosopher, [1903 -- 1969]

How much is the Postal Service paying for the licensing for using Harry Potter and is this a prudent expense given the financial state of the agency?

Most people who buy stamps buy them out of need and not for whom or what is on the stamp. Harry Potter is a franchise that has run its course, all books and movies have been released. Any profits realized from stamp collectors from the Harry Potter stamp would more than likely not offset the licensing cost. Stamp collecting is not the answer to bring the Postal Service financials back in the black. Face the facts mail volume is not going to increase now or in the future. The agency is overstaffed for its current mail volume and obviously mismanaged. The Postal Service would be better served improving delivery services, reducing over time and standby time, combining duplicate services and reducing the use of contractors by substituting them with current Postal staff. The Postal Service has employees with the skill sets to perform any activity currently provided by high paid contractors at a much lower cost. We owe the employees the respect to use their talents and skills

Brilliant! That is what I think about the Postal Services latest choice to use Harry Potter on Forever Stamps. It's simply a natural thing to associate mailing letters with the Harry Potter fandom. The image of all Harry's acceptance letters whizzing about the boy wizard is hardwired in more than one generation of fan's minds around the globe. The world J.K. Rowling created is alive and growing, and for the US Postal Service to want to be a real life part of it is a perfect fit. I prepurchased sets in fear that my local post office wouldn't get them, as has happened to me in the past. For example, I was never able to buy this year's Chinese New Year stamp, a personal tradition of mine. The Harry Potter stamps are fantastically designed. A simply beautiful foldout presentation, and they show so many of my favorite characters, not just a few images repeated over and over. And I love the little bonus they created by placing a little red wax seal image in the middle of each page of four stamps. These little red seals are terrific to use on the back of an envelope. Sort of like a "gift with purchase". I am a huge fan of anything Potter, and I even went to Universal Studios Florida, to see the grand unveiling of the stamps where the actress Ivana Lynch (who portrays the character Luna Lovegood) was the highlight of the ceremony. It was wonderful to witness all of that in person in Hogsmead Village, with the Hogwarts Castle in the background, and then to wander into the Hogshead for a delicious Butterbeer. I am sending First Day of Issue stamps to everyone on my Holiday list. What a perfect gift to bring in the new year, but a timeless classic that will endure forever. The US Postal Service designers have made magic, and I am hopeful the spell is never broken.

I bought the Harry Potter stamps for my four children for Hanukkah. It has been a long time since I have really seen them excited about a gift and they were thrilled! I read the criticism of the stamps in the press and just did not get it. I have collected stamps for years and this was a wonderful way to share this hobby.

If Elvis was the best selling stamp ever. I suggest a JERRY GARCIA stamp. Like Elvis he was an American Icon, a Musician, and would likely inspire similar debate. i.e. Young Jerry, or Old Jerry etc..
    A 9/11, World Trade Center stamp might (definitely) be a hot seller..

I find it curious that "young audiences" are being referenced repeatedly with regard to Harry Potter. The first book was released in the late 90's, when some of that audience was still in diapers. You're not going to create a new generation of stamp collectors, if that's the goal. You're going to please Harry Potter fans with recognition of their cultural icon. If the USPS is looking for a way to make money, current iconic figures on stamps might supplement that.

Yes to Harry Potter stamps! They honor Britain's excellent contribution to the arts. They will be welcomed as gifts to young and old fans of the Wizarding World. And yes, they might spark a new interest in stamp collecting. Next year you can comfort the traditionalists with a more historical design but for now let Harry soar to new heights.

I think the postal office should make kid stamps like soccer players, football players, and cars. Kids and parents would like to buy them.

Postal Service,I think the idea of having icons from any country is a great.Having these things will help sales.Having people like Drake,One Direction and other international on stamps will help sales a lot.

From,
    Anonymous

Yes, I think the postal office should have up to date stamps. It will help a ton if they start to put celebrities on stamps, but in my opinion they shouldn't put Harry potter on stamps, they should put people like One Direction. Evan though there not American it would help their sales of stamps sky rocket

I think kids should buy stamps. This would help because little kids would love to see cartoon characters on stamps and that will help them make more money.

Postal service I think you should make stamps of celebrities and children because it will draw more attention to more people.Also it would be nice if you can put more than one person on stamps.This will help your postal service by makeing more people love stamps.

yes, i think the post office should keep on selling stamps for any age. it will help you guys get more money.

Dear post office,
    I think that you should make newer and younger stamps. you should try to apeal to the younger generastion. if you were to make those younger stamps , kids would probly start to collcet stamps again. This would help because your profit would rise and maybe more letters would be sent. There would probly be kids,teens,and maybe even some adults buying them.

Dear,post office
    I like how you tried to put a stamp that children would be interested in. I think that you should not do that ,because that
    is not what stamps are for. they are for post cards and envalopes.

I think you should sell stamps that appeal to a younger audience. You should make stamps of popular books or movies like The Hunger Games or Uglies and popular actors like Javier Calvo. People are going crazy over the The Hunger Games and One Direction, and they would go crazy over a Hunger Games or One Direction stamp. :)

I think the post office should make stamps with picture from other countries. One reason is because it will teach people about other countries. It will also help make more money again.

I think the post office should make some cartoon stamps or movie stamps to get kids attention and adults. I know kids like cartoons and adults like movies so this will make them collect and buy stamps.

I think they should sell Harry Potter stamps and other stamps with characters they like too. First, there ate a lot of series that people like. Finally, it will increase money. I hope you guys earn more money.